67 Toronado Headlights Not Working

Post your technical questions and information here.
BrockRob65
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado Deluxe

67 Toronado Headlights Not Working

Postby BrockRob65 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,

My headlights stopped working last night. The doors open and close just fine, but the headlights remain off. I have looked around for a solution online, but unfortunately all the information I can find pertains to problems with the vacuum actuated doors, and nothing regarding the lights themselves. I checked the high beam dimmer, which was fine. The high beam indicator light on the dashboard does not come on, however, when I toggle that switch on and off. The tail lights, parking and interior lights all work, and the headlight switch dims the dashboard lights as it should. The headlights are the only lights controlled by that switch that do not work.

I know the switch can be a cause, but the aftermarket switches I have found do not include the vacuum fittings. Are these fittings considered a part of the switch or are they separate? Besides the switch, is there anything else you Toronado experts would suggest that I check?

Thanks!

Rob

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 67 Toronado Headlights Not Working

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Rob,

I had a similar problem on my '66. It turned out that the wires with the brass connectors on the end had backed out of the plastic quick connects. I pushed them back into place and made sure the bulbs actually pushed into the spade connections.

This problem also developed on my 1979 Ford truck. The plastic shrinks up with age and the female spade connections slide out of their plastic housings.

Return to “Technical Talk”