torsion bar

Post your technical questions and information here.
GrantRees
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado

torsion bar

Postby GrantRees » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:43 am

Hello All:

Been working on my 69 Toro all winter. Hopefully will get it on the road this Summer. It's spent and is still spending time on the lift. I've noticed while working on other things that the torsion bars seem to have a slight wave, they're not perfectly straight. So, given that and that I've read that 66 & 67 had a firmer suspension, I'm thinking next winter's project is to replace the torsion bars and all the suspension bushings in the front; I did replace those in the stabilizer bar already. That having been said I've not had any success locating replacement torsion bars. Does anyone know a source. I'm assuming I could find a old school spring shouep and they might have something or be able to make something, but off the shelf would be easier.

Any thoughts anyone?
Cheers!

Grant

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

torsion bar

Postby bcroe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 am

Try ADDCO for a set that might be heavier than the originals. I have gotten a few from
them, hope they go that far back. If you had the part number, a search might come up
with something long hidden in a warehouse. Bruce Roe

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Re: torsion bar

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Addco for torsion bars, or for sway bars which are a torsion bar, but not the main springs?

I checked the Addco catalog, they list a rear bar for '67-70 (Not for '66 which I don't understand) and they list a rear bar for '71--78.

No front sway bars, no torsion bars.

GrantRees
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado

Postby GrantRees » Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 am

that's what I found as well. I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a '66 or 67 in a salvage yard and get the bars out of that. I understand those will provide a bit firmer ride than the '69. I even asked a local guy at the spring shop if he could make them. He said not any more - that they don't have a forge on site is what i think he said.

Thanks for confirming my internet search results.

Cheers!

Grant

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 am

Call John Dorcey. He has plenty of parts cars. His information is in the section under parts and service sources.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Mon May 22, 2017 7:08 am

Schurkey wrote:Addco for torsion bars, or for sway bars which are a torsion bar, but not the main springs?

I checked the Addco catalog, they list a rear bar for '67-70 (Not for '66 which I don't understand) and they list a rear bar for '71--78.
No front sway bars, no torsion bars.

Right, my mistake. Certainly serious work will replace all the original rubber bushings,
done that here. The T bars from any E car through 78 should fit yours. Check the
dia (not too close to the end), to get an idea of how stiff they might be. Observe the
L and R end markings to put them on the correct side. I have a bunch here. Bruce Roe

Return to “Technical Talk”