front Brake disc conversion

Post your technical questions and information here.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: front Brake disc conversion

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun May 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Not this but I've had experience with Kanter. I will never buy anything from them if I can help it.

Many of their parts are junk right out of the box - Chinese crap.

Rubber suspension parts disintegrate on the car without being used. Rocker arms and pushrods are cheapo, etc.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun May 21, 2017 6:05 pm

You might try Sarebird, although converting to disc brakes is a waste of time and money in my opinion.

https://scarebird.com/

Discs do not enable your car to stop sooner. The only benefit is that they don't fade / overheat during sustained hard use or repeated high speed braking. Unless you're auto-crossing your car you won't see any benefit to a disc brake conversion under normal driving conditions.

You might also try to obtain the necessary parts from a '67 disc brake car.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 21, 2017 10:08 pm

They want $1200 for the conversion kit.

For that much money, I'll buy used parts from a salvage yard, recondition them, and have hundreds left over.

I bought an entire parts-car for $300, scalped the discs, engine, transmission, and had the rest hauled away.

A '67 or '68 uses the four-piston calipers and the unobtainium rotors 'n' wheel bearings. You'd want a parts car from '69 to '78. Single-piston calipers are common as dirt, and the rotors and bearings are readily available.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

front Brake disc conversion

Postby bcroe » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 am

In the days when E car junkers came to me, I used to take the whole front suspension
off and give it to owners wanting to convert to front discs. Plenty of service parts
available for the 70s Toro/Eldo. Got tired of hunting for rare parts, would not use
the 60s version.

The 60s cars I drove all had marginal brakes, in my opinion. My 62 Cutlass might
have had the best, easy to stop even without a booster. But driving in the rain was
another story. Once I had to drive through a huge pot hole filled with water on an
entrance ramp. It was deeper than I first realized. I no sooner got on than someone
cut me off and I had to slam on the brakes. The partially wet drums threw the
car around and into the median. Fortunately no damage, I drove off. But I had to
take up dragging the brakes some in the rain, so I could be sure what they would
do. Today every car I own must have front disc brakes, which are better in every
way. Bruce Roe

romcoby
Years Owned: 1991

Postby romcoby » Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 am

No idea about the brakes, but I got some parts from Kanter and I got no problems with them.

Return to “Technical Talk”