Comfortron or AC - questions and replacement

Post your technical questions and information here.
crbruzek
TOA Membership Number: 1232
Years Owned: 1966

Comfortron or AC - questions and replacement

Postby crbruzek » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 am

In the summer of 2015, I purchased a 1966 Olds Toronado. I have the dealer sticker with the car - it is a well optioned car. One of the options indicated on the sticker was that it had the Comfortron air conditioning. However, the switches in the dashboard are the regular air conditioning switches.

In talking to an auto mechanic in my town, he said that when he started his career in the late 1970s and early 1980s, he converted many Comfortron optioned cars into regular air conditioned cars. I'm thinking that the same happened to my car long ago.

The only other possibility is that this is an early production Toronado (first owner purchased December 1965) and maybe Comfortron had regular air conditioning switches back then? - I think this is doubtful.

Currently the air conditioning needs work to be operational. I am thinking of either repairing the existing AC or try to put the Comfortron system back in. I'm guessing the Comfortron option is much more time consuming in finding parts and expensive as well, but I am willing to consider this.

I am looking forward to your answers and opinions.

Sincerely,

Carl Bruzek
TOA #1232

ltdpt
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toranado

Re: Comfortron or AC - questions and replacement

Postby ltdpt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:57 am

I have two 1966 parts cars that I acquired this fall, one is pretty much a shell but still has a lot of dash parts left, the second one is complete. let me know what you are looking for and I will see whats there.

Return to “Technical Talk”