Tips on pulling motor?

Post your technical questions and information here.
GrantRees
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado

Tips on pulling motor?

Postby GrantRees » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 am

Good Morning All:

I'm pulling the motor on my 69. Got, I think, everything disconnected. Have a chain support under the final drive. Unbolted the Half shaft support pass side and the trans to block bolt driver's side. Front motor mount bolts out.

I'm not having success getting the motor to separate from the Bell housing. With some lift on the front of the motor, I can slide it back and forth a bit - the whole power unit wiggles and there no "crack" developing between the block and bell housing. I took the three bolts off the torque converter, by turning flywheel with pry bar, and I've doused the joint b/t the bell housing and block with pb blaster - it couldn't hurt. I'm not wild about trying to fish out the whole power unit, final drive included, as one.

So all that having been said, any tips? I have a factory manual and lift, so i've been back under the car several times and I can't see where I've missed a bolt - pull the started and bell housing to motor bolts from underneath and took the oil filter off for good measure. Took the top side driver side bolts b/t bell housing and block out as well.

I'm thinking the aluminum / steel junction, at least I think that's the case b/t the motor and bell housing have kind of froze due to that dissimilar metal thing.

Thoughts on prying apart anyone? Bueller? Beuller?

Thanks!

Grant

19toro66
TOA Membership Number: 1110
Years Owned: I own a 1966 and 1967.

Re: Tips on pulling motor?

Postby 19toro66 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Just guessing, but have you pulled the half shaft on the passenger side out? I am willing to bet that the oil pan is hitting the half shaft thus keeping the engine from sliding forward.

GrantRees

Postby GrantRees » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that"s it - the half shaft is not touching the pan and there is about an inch or so for it to slide forward before contact. It's nice and greasy so if it were touching there would be a mark.
I'm wondering what / how would be to put the pry on the block bell housing without breaking it. Or how available a new bell housing is if disaster strikes. Also whether. A dose acetone and ATF would help free the pices.

GrantRees

Postby GrantRees » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Problem solved. I pulled the one bolt, drivers side final drive to block, but it was the wrong one. I pulled one of the two mounting brackets bolts on the block. I saw that the big bolt that goes from the final drive to the bracket or mount didn't enter the block - I didn't appreciate that there was the mounting plate with two bolts in to the block that the one bolts you're supposed to remove goes through. Anyway, once the light went on, dim as it is, I took the second plate to block bolt out and the motor popped right out. I'll tear in to it after i get the floor work done. It's been repainted gold, which is not correct as I understand it and I'm not seeing any number behind the alt / power steering bracket which is where I understand the motor number should be. Anyway, I'll get the reference materials I have and see if I can figure it out. The pass side exhaust manifold has a fair size leak at the gasket so, now's the time to fix that and see what the insides look like. Maybe some hardened valve seats if that's not been done.

Cheers!

Return to “Technical Talk”