mystery sound

Post your technical questions and information here.
followme21
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

mystery sound

Postby followme21 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 am

Working on my 66 Toronado the other day, I started it, backed it out of the garage, later in the day I went to pull it back in and it wouldn't start. All it was doing was making a clicking/thunking sound from under the dash over near the fuse box. Every time the key made contact I would hear this sound and the engine would not start. I searched all over under the dash looking for a switch or relay or something I could feel sticking, never did find anything, I disconnected the neutral start switch and the noise was still there, I even by-passed the switch and it was still making the sound with the no start condition. Finally I crawled under the car and started it by bypassing the solenoid. When I was back in the shop I removed the starter and messed with all the connections and all of a sudden it started working correctly. I have started it several times since then and all is good. I still hear that clicking/thunknig from under the dash the moment before it starts and the moment after I shut it off. So after that long post what is the clicking/thunking sound over by the fuse box. Is there a relay or something? And the car will not start in gear, but will start in reverse? I am assuming that switch is adjustable? Not sure that has anything to do with my issue though. Thanks in advance.

Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Re: mystery sound

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:38 pm

I had a similar problem with my 66 toro
But mine was the neutral safety switch
Good luck

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 am

I think that noise is the starter solenoid clicking. Make sure your connctions are super clean and tight and that your wires and starter cable are in perfect shape.

Sometimes corrosion gets under the insulation. It sounds like maybe there's some resistance in the circuit. A new solenoid is about $25 from Rock Auto so you may just want to try a new one.

romcoby
Years Owned: 1991

Postby romcoby » Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 am

I agree about the starter solenoid issue. I experienced the same sound, and it was the solenoid.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

mystery sound

Postby bcroe » Mon May 29, 2017 9:12 pm

The first thing to note, is do the lights inside stay on (open a door, etc) when you hit
the starter. If they go out its either a bad battery or a bad connection to the battery
(more likely). With the hood open, I would hold it in start for 15 sec, then quickly jump
out and touch the battery terminals. A warm one is your bad connection. Too bad you
took it apart first, because now you are not sure what the problem was.

If the lights stay on, it could be a bad connection at the starter. The noise likely
is the solenoid trying to pull in, till it loses voltage. good luck, Bruce Roe

Return to “Technical Talk”