Remove Dash Cluster

Post your technical questions and information here.
brian66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Remove Dash Cluster

Postby brian66toro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I have not done too much on my 66 Toro over the winter. I purchased a nice AM-FM wonderbar on eBay and had it repaired and serviced by a great radio repair shop in NJ. It needed very little. I also had the back seat reupholstered and added a rear speaker. I purchased the proper 6 X 9 8-10 ohm speaker from www.turnswitch.com and also bought a front speaker. The guy at turnswitch said the front speaker is a challenge to get to and to take my time, which is always good advice.

The shop manual indicates that you need to remove the cluster to swap out the radio. That's OK, it looks fairly straightforward and there's lots of room to work with that nice flat floor. Since the black wrinkle paint is flaking off, I figured I would re-do the paint on the cluster. The chrome is nice and will clean right up with 0000 steel wool.

I also found an NOS Flarestat on ebay and will be adding that to the car too.

If anyone has some tips or suggestions on the cluster removal and the wrinkle paint I would appreciate the info. I also joined the club and have received my first newsletter. I should have joined a year ago when I got the car.

Thanks,

Brian

tera155
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Remove Dash Cluster

Postby tera155 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Brian, I have done some work under the dash -- you are correct the lack of the transmission hump makes it easier but still you are inverted and under a dash so there are more pleasant activities in my book. That said, you may want to consider upgrading the clock while the dash is undone. I had mine rebuilt from a guy I think in California. The movement is different now -- I can't recall if now it sweeps and originally it had quartz movement or vice-a-versa. But either way the clock now works.

Replacing the Flarestat is a good idea but I have read there were several "bespoke" methods for installing them as I think they were dealer installed.

And any work on the radio may lead you to work on the antenna in the inner fender well as well. Rds, Thad Dupper

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 01, 2016 3:27 pm

The worst part is finding broken pins where the wiring connects to the cluster gauges. I've forgotten which gauges these are. The original pins are brass, and seem fragile where they "rivet" to the circuit board.

A bunch of mine were broken. I replaced them with steel machine screws. Not ideal, but it seemed to work. Looking at the photo, I also had a broken copper trace on the printed circuit, which I bypassed with a length of wire.

I had more photos that that one, but they're temporarily lost on old hard drives. I hope I can recover them.

Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi brian
I have the same idea i. Have am fm wonderbar radio and speakers i also have power antenna i want to install
Im scared to take the dash apart because of all vacuum hoses on the ac heater side do you have any advice for me
And did you find the paint

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 am

I cleaned up the car and drove it as much as I could this summer. I never got to remove the cluster and do any of the work that I had planned to do. Might be a winter project at this point. Normally I don't do work on any fragile items like any plastic parts or wiring connectors when it gets really cold out but I have a heater installed in the garage and hopefully can get a few things done over the winter on the Toro and some other cars.

Brian

Toronadotrofeo
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:15 pm

When I redo the carpet I'll tackle the dash ready for next summer cruising
Can I see a picture of your toronado

Cman

Postby Cman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:49 pm

I restored the cluster on my '66 this past spring. Removal is pretty straightforward. Lower the steering column- two nuts on studs. Be careful not to overtighten on the reassembly- one of mine snapped on me and I had to drill it out and replace. I think they might be shear bolts, because it snapped without much pressure at all.
If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. I took a fair amount of photos. Before and after below.
Attachments
DSCN0312.JPG
DSCN0312.JPG (476.2 KiB) Viewed 23038 times
DSCN0301.JPG
DSCN0301.JPG (508.36 KiB) Viewed 23038 times

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 pm

What did you use for the green lenses over the turn signal indicator lamps?

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:46 pm

I think it's pretty straightforward, but heavy and awkward. An extra set of hands would be useful in my view. Also, that is a good time to replace ducting for the vents which usually goes bad. Check out all wiring connections as others have mentioned earlier. I used some green plastic file folder materials for the turn signal lenses which have no markings on them (arrows). THankfully, the other lights with lettering (Brake -red and Hi Beam - violet) were in good shape, so they were re-used. I would include a picture of mine, but this site is a hassle regarding picture sizes. I used crinkle paint from Eastwood to redo the dash paint. My car has been a complete restoration project. Getting close to upholstery only to finish it up. A few mechanicals to yet be gone through.

Toronadotrofeo
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 am

Wow great job c man
I need to do the same thing but I'm scared of the vacuum lines do you any advice for me
And the bezel where the power antenna and light switches are is pretty rough I don't if it could be replaced

Return to “Technical Talk”