Remove Dash Cluster

Post your technical questions and information here.
Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Re: Remove Dash Cluster

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am

I'll take pictures tonight of both radios in the dash and show you
There the same size
100%
Oltoronut

brian66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby brian66toro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:42 pm

I am also posting this in the "Wanted section"...

I am looking for a power antenna switch and the dash bezel. Anyone have one they would be willing to sell?

Thanks,

Brian

kprof
Years Owned: 1969 Base Toronado

Postby kprof » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:18 am

Hello All,
I attempted this challenge in my 1969 before i went to Hershey I was unsuccessful tried the radio swap . when i took out the glove box and access panel to left i was not able to progress did not see were the next bolts to remove were hidden i want to do the duct work the clock and the speaker need assistance with locating those hidden places after the glove box and access panels to remove the padded dash on upper dash any help here is appreciated also afterward on the way home from Hershey i noted the odometer rolling on the left irregularly its gonna be a project i have the shop manual it has a primitive diagram but i could not locate the next step under there let me know if you can kprof423@gmail .com

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 pm

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if anyone knows where the wire to the rear speaker is located? I looked in the front of the cabin but don’t see it anywhere. Is it better off to use new wire instead? I’m trying to install a new speaker in the back because the original one was too old and fell apart. Thanks!

Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:53 pm

the old speaker wire is blue run up the passenger side of the car

Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:42 pm

I am in the process of re-assembling my dash. I did not disassemble this car so I'm mostly winging it. I've put in a new wiring harness (Lectric Limited, it is nice), new ducting, and rebuilt the dash. My question is order of re-assembly, ... I'd prefer to not have to take this apart and put it back together again too many times.

Here's what it looks like to me, I would appreciate any correction and/or re-direction:
1. install passenger trim pad
2. install driver trim pad
3. install instrument panel, it looks easier with the heater/AC unit out, I'll put a radio in later
4. install heater/AC unit
5. connect wires, vacuum lines and cables
6. install AC outlets and attach ducting
7. install ash tray and glove box

Has anyone done this, am I missing anything? I will appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:07 am

Hi 78,

Go to the Cars For Sale section and call the guy with the latest listing (rust colored). He also just finished the restoration and is very helpful. Several people have contacted him for various tips.

Also, Tuco also recently finished a total restoration on his '66. He has a post on the above thread. Send him an email.

Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:56 pm

I did contact them Otto, as always many thanks for your advice and guidance. Once I get mine all together and running down the highway (78) I too will be an expert :-]

Mark

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Awesome! If I ever have to do any serious work on this car I'll be calling you. I recently solved a "vapor lock" problem which I'll detail in another thread. It turned out not to be vapor lock.

roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Postby roland » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:02 am

I done this several times with 67 and 66 toros. My guide for re-assembly is to fit the completed dashboard with ac-unit and radio into the place. But check and test all your bulbs before you put the dashboard back! Its not funny if you find one or more doesn´t work after reassemble the dash. You never had a chance to put the ac-unit or radio in it later. Most problems are to mount the speedometer-cable and the heater cable on it, if they are already fastened to the transmission and heater valve. Disconnect them there and you can pull them a little with enough place to mount em at speedometer and ac-unit then. Plug all wires into place now, also the air hose to duct. Ignition switch should also complete wired now. Push the board careful on its rest and go down. Plug all vac-hoses and the last wires at the ac-unit, and put the light switch (complete with wires and vac-hoses plugged) and the ignition switch from rear into theirs places. Screw in the dashboard, replace the steering column and remount the speedometer cable and heater cable in the engine bay.
Roland TOA#860

Return to “Technical Talk”