Remove Dash Cluster

Post your technical questions and information here.
brian66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: Remove Dash Cluster

Postby brian66toro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:55 am

WOW, Looks beautiful. I'd be very happy if mine comes out that nicely.

Brian

Cman

Postby Cman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Don't be afraid of the vacuum lines. As I recall they are color-coded with a colored stripe on the vacuum line and a corresponding color on the port. They are numbered too. Mine is not Comfortron. Take photos and notes so you can remember how it goes back together.

I used Rustoleum wrinkle paint that I could only find on Amazon. Follow the directions exactly. Mine came out perfectly. I used Mothers plastic polish for the clear lenses. Chrome polish too. I used a green report cover (office supply store e.g. Office Max or Staples) doubled for the green signal monitor lenses...similar to what Doc suggested. The file folder lenses seemed too transparent to me, so I went with a more translucent material. It didn't seem "green" enough so I doubled it. I may not double it if I had to do it again. It looks perfect at night, but hard to see in the day.

I was shocked (sort of) that GM did zero preparation before applying the wrinkle paint. No primer and it appears to be painted directly on shiny chrome. It's no wonder it peeled off. I hit mine with a Scotch -bright pad to cut the shiny surface and give the wrinkle paint something to hold on to. Take your time, use an Xacto knife for the masking.

I resprayed my gauge needles with day-glo spray paint from a hobby store. My clock was working so I didn't mess with it. It's amazing, after 50 years it keeps perfect time for months on end! All my gauges were working too, so I just resprayed the needles. I cafefully cleaned them with alcohol and Q-tips first. They are quite fragile. Replace all the light bulbs while you're in there. My speedo was dead, so I took it to a local speedo shop that has been around for decades. He refurbed it for me...it's one of those old, dark shops with parts and papers stacked to the ceiling and paths leading through it, to this little hovel in the back where he works his magic...clearly and sadly a dying art. He is a master.

The brushed bezels are a challenge. Mine weren't too bad, so I reused them. I saw some good ones on Ebay, but I didn't buy them because they had optional switch locations that I didn't have. I tidied mine up with a little brass wool and avoided the lettering. If yours are bad I would hit them with a fine Scotch-brite... all in the horizontal direction, if I recall correctly. A good sign shop may be able to duplicate the graphic in vinyl, so take a hi-res photo first. Or I would think a good hobby shop or even an architectural design supply house would have transferrable letters you could use. My Dad was an engineer and I worked in the supply room as a kid. I remember seeing them in all types of fonts. Make a judgment if you want to clear over them or not. Search google for 'drafting supplies'. Not sure how common they are in the digital age, but they used to use them on Mylar or vellum design drawings.

Again, don't be intimidated. If you get in a jam, I'm sure the good folks on this forum can bail you out. I'll do my best to help any way I can. It's a fun and rewarding project, and makes the driving experience that much better. The dash cluster is one of the best design features of the early Toronado, in my opinion.
Attachments
DSCN0290.JPG
DSCN0290.JPG (498.41 KiB) Viewed 20407 times

Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Thank you so much

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Beautiful job!
I'd be really happy to get those results.

Brian

Cman

Postby Cman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:10 pm

I did a search for 'transfer lettering' and found these:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/chart ... DQodo0kLQQ

Not sure they are small enough. If not, you'll need to look for smaller, but I believe they exist.

Toronadotrofeo
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:48 am

Thank you Chris
I actually brought my bezel to vinyl shop they copied the lettering t
And made me a stencil so now I'm going to Scott bright the bezels then put the stencil on and paint the lettering on then clear coat everything to avoid further scratching I ordered the special paint for the cluster thank you for the lead and I'm going to a hobby shop this morning to the orange paint for the needles
I sent the clock out for a rebuild Im wondering at this point if I should replace all the duct tubing the car is 50 years and when you turn on the heater and ac there's a old smell that drives me nuts
And I'll replace speaker and all light bulbs thank you so much
Have you done anything else to your car lately

Cman

Postby Cman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:44 pm

That sounds like a good plan. Glad to know you're making progress. The stencil is a perfect idea.

I got my car about a year ago from a long term storage.

I replaced all the fluids, tires, blasted and painted the wheels, went through the brakes (they were pretty new) overhauled the headlight actuators, fixed all the lights, rebuilt the RF axle and replaced the outer boot, replaced the mirrors and the rear cowl drains.

Other than that, I've been driving it and having some fun. It gets smiles, waves and questions just about every time I take it out. I need front seat upholstery, carpets, maybe a paint job and some chrome. But it's a nice survivor as is. I have other cars in the cue to restore before this one.

I took it to GM Nationals this summer for the 50th Anniversary celebration at Carlisle PA where I met the designer, David North. He was a delightful man and signed the dash for me. He had some interesting stores to tell. One was about how the rear taillight panel was rushed, and somewhat cobbled together. The whole rear panel was intended to be tail lights, but the tail light supplier (Guide) couldn't execute in time so they went with the half body color, half lens design.
Attachments
DSCN0552.JPG
DSCN0552.JPG (515.8 KiB) Viewed 20406 times
DSCN0559.JPG
DSCN0559.JPG (502.81 KiB) Viewed 20406 times
DSCN0470.JPG
DSCN0470.JPG (498.52 KiB) Viewed 20406 times

oltoronut

Postby oltoronut » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 pm

Be careful the am/fm radio is bigger than the am. It doesn't fit the opening.. I made this mistake. Had to send it back

Toronadotrofeo
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi
oltoronut
I got a little worried after you told me the am/fm radio wouldnt fit
i just finshed test fitting mine and it fit the same way i wouldnt think GM would make different dash to fit different size radios
someone must have sent you the wrong radio

oltoronut

Postby oltoronut » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 am

am/fm radios are a different size than the am. I made that mistake had to send it back am radio is smaller.am / fm won't fit in the opening.

I have my dash down right now. take many pictures and label all vac lines

Return to “Technical Talk”