High torque starter

Post your technical questions and information here.
jer8716
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1970 w34

High torque starter

Postby jer8716 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:40 am

Hey all I have a 1970 toronado gt the 455 is 30 over with around 13.5 to 14:1 compression the factory starter has one heck of a time turning the old girl over I have replaced with new starter new cables any one have a sorcerer for a mini high torque or a full size high torque starter.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Re: High torque starter

Postby Schurkey » Sun May 01, 2016 3:42 pm

The ONLY aftermarket high-torque starter I'm aware of for Toronado was sold by RobbMc Performance.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products.html

However, I don't see the Toronado/Eldorado unit listed on his site any more. Discontinued, I suspect. You could contact him to confirm, though.

The GM/Delco 10MT "high torque" starter should work, if you have enough battery, and proper-gauge cables. The problem is that there were so many variations of that starter that it's easy to get a large, "high torque" appearing starter with low-torque parts inside. The big housings get rebuilt with short armatures and short field coils---or maybe they came that way due to GM cost-cutting--instead of using the proper long armatures and long field coils inside the long housings.

In the meantime, I'd be doing voltage tests, and voltage-drop tests on the existing starter, along with verifying that the ignition timing isn't excessive at cranking speed. Another semi-popular trick is to crank the engine with the ignition OFF, to get some momentum built-up, then flip the ignition "on" only after the crankshaft is already spinning.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Sun May 01, 2016 6:45 pm

One of those mini geared starters might do it. Generally they can be rotated around for
clearance. I have one but haven't tried it yet. Ran out of space putting a 78 TH425 trans
into a 79 (TH325) Toronado. Bruce Roe

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Postby Eightballz » Sun May 01, 2016 10:28 pm

as for the RobbMC starter..they took it down due to not enough orders.

they sold me the CAD file for the adapter plate so i could buy the olds RWD mini starter from RobbMC and craft the adapter on my own.

might be cheaper to go with one of the starters bruce recommends.

Return to “Technical Talk”