1966 Toro Exhaust system

Post your technical questions and information here.
paxtonshelby1966
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado
1966 Mustang
2014 Mustang GT

1966 Toro Exhaust system

Postby paxtonshelby1966 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi fellas - I need a new exhaust system for my '66 Toro. Looking around on EBay I found what seems like a pretty good deal. Full aluminized system with resonator delete pipes for $347.60. The guy is located in Geneva, Ohio and has pretty good feedback (>4300 with 99.1% positive ). He sells systems for many makes and models. Shipping would only be $65. Looks like he's only 100 miles away so I could even drive out to pick it up. System is complete although I'm not sure if clamps are included - but they're cheap. Stainless is available for $780. On eBay the guy's name is sat1966. Anyone here ever deal with him?

The photo shows resonators - the system I want would not have them.

I see that some folks have bought from Waldrons but they are about $150 more for the same system.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Ron
Attachments
image.png
image.png (607.51 KiB) Viewed 22487 times

Otto Skorzeny

Re: 1966 Toro Exhaust system

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:44 am

I'm familiar with the company and from personal experience and the experience of friends in the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, I'm not too impressed.

The clamps and hangers are almost certainly NOT included and will raise the cost significantly. Customer service is often an F-U attitude.

If I were you I would find a local shop able to use your existing system as a template. You could get an aluminized system installed for less money than it will cost you to buy it from Classic and then pay someone to install it.

Recently, a friend looked into them for an aluminized system for a 1966 Cadillac. His lead time was 2 weeks, and his price was well over $500 for everything needed. My buddy decided to take the car to a local shop who was able to custom bend an aluminized system for him with everything included and installed for about $350.00

Also, I would use aluminized system instead of stainless steel. I doubt you're going to be driving in the salt and snow so you aren't likely to need the benefits of SS. I've had an aluminized system on my '56 Cadillac for 15 years and it's still like new. I use this car as a daily driver so it's not a trailer queen that never sees any wear.

I've also heard complaints from people with SS systems that the sound is not right. Louder, tinny/raspy tone, etc.

I would also put the resonators on your car. These cars sound awesome with the factory exhaust setup.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:05 am

Muffler is wrong. Don't buy this.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:09 am

paxtonshelby1966 wrote:Full aluminized system with resonator delete pipes for $347.60. The guy is located in Geneva, Ohio and has pretty good feedback (>4300 with 99.1% positive ). He sells systems for many makes and models. Shipping would only be $65. Looks like he's only 100 miles away so I could even drive out to pick it up. System is complete although I'm not sure if clamps are included - but they're cheap. Stainless is available for $780. On eBay the guy's name is sat1966. Anyone here ever deal with him?

The photo shows resonators - the system I want would not have them.

I see that some folks have bought from Waldrons but they are about $150 more for the same system.

Let me know what you think.

Appears to be cheap, crush-bent tubing. Buy local, pay less, no shipping cost, hangars and welded joints included. It'll still be crush-bent, though--inferior to mandrel-bent tubing. It's near-impossible to get a mandrel-bent system at a local muffler shop.

I bought an assortment of 2 1/2" diameter mandrel bends and a dual inlet, dual outlet transverse muffler. SOMEDAY I'll put a proper exhaust on my '66. Connecting the large-diameter tubing to the stock exhaust manifolds will be the worst part of that job, I think.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Shurkey is right about the rarity of shops making mandrel formed pipes . Look around, though and you'll find a shop that can do it - generally an independent but maybe a Meineke that's been in business along time.
'
The shop I referred to in the previous post happens to be my girlfriend's and her brother's. He has a very nice old mandrel machine. The prices I quoted were not specially discounted, however but should be what you can find locally.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:03 pm

I would say, spend enough to get what you want. Be sure to use enough good quality
hangers; mine are OEM types I ordered, with custom mounts to the frame as required.

The reason to use 304 stainless, is that you don't want to ever have to replace the
system again, your choice. After working on countless exhaust systems, I got fed
up and decided any more replacements would be the last. The excellent system on
my 79 was used on 2 of my cars, then sold to someone else still driving it today. The
parts are about double the cost, which means its paid for the first time I DON'T
need to replace it.

The other issue is labor, I manage to buy mandrel bent curve sections and mig weld
up complete systems. Plated pipes don't weld well.

Since I use high flow mufflers, resonators are needed to keep noise down. Performance
and quit are added by a cross over as close the engine as practical. Bruce Roe

paxtonshelby1966
1966 Mustang
2014 Mustang GT

Postby paxtonshelby1966 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Doc Hubler wrote:Muffler is wrong. Don't buy this.

Doc - what's wrong with the muffler? Will it fit? I'm not so concerned about originality - but I do want it to fit / hang properly without modification and of course it has to sound decent. Thanks!

paxtonshelby1966
1966 Mustang
2014 Mustang GT

Postby paxtonshelby1966 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the exhaust yet. I will probably ask around the local shops and see what they'd charge. Not sure if any of them do mandrel bending. I have a buddy who can weld up the system once it is installed.

Part of the reason I'm holding off on the exhaust is I'm getting a handle on how much I will have to spend getting the engine rebuilt. A BIG thanks to Mark for all the time and motor-building advice over the phone last night. You-da-man Mark!

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:27 pm

I have had 2 systems made by Classic, one for my '66 in stainless/2 1/2" and one for my '73 in aluminized steel, standard diameter.

I have not installed the '66 system yet, but it looks like a good fit.

The '73 system however was a total disaster where the pipes that attach the manifolds to the main run to the rear.

This car is a daily driver and my son had come 250 miles south to install it and what should have been a 2 hour job became a 2 day job thanks to the moron at Classic that bent up the pipes.

I ended up having to use flex pipe to make up the parts that were bent backwards and inside out.

I also never called him as what was there to say? He won't see another dollar of mine.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm

The muffler, for one, doesn't look like the right fit for the car. THose go in a specific place behend the rear seat kick up. They are oval in design, this looks round.

Return to “Technical Talk”