1967 Center Console for bucket seats

Post your technical questions and information here.
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

1967 Center Console for bucket seats

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 am

Some pictures of the center seat console for strato bucket seat equipped Toros, 1966-67. From my 67. The lock box for hinge was loose, has to be repaired. The box is a 2 piece affair made out of fiberglass. It's riveted together with 7-8 rivets. Each side has vinyl glued to it, as well as carpet on bottom side. The rivets in three fiberglass were broken loose, 2 if the 3. The interior is a felt like material. It does look sprayed on, same as for glovebox on instrument panel. Does anyone know what material to use for this lining? Note the "secret" compartment on these. The word is only 55 Toros in 66 had these, and maybe 100-200 for 67, maximum. Center console changed a bit for 68. I suppose I shouldn't assume that all bucket seat cars had these, but most would have as I think they were sold as package. Of course, there's nothing fancy about the console in reality. I'm not sure if the floor bracket supports for regular strato bench seat were also used to bolt the console to the floor or if they were different. I suspect they were different. I'll have to try to find info in the parts book.

center console3.jpg
center console3.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

center console1.jpg
center console1.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

center console.jpg
center console.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 1967 Center Console for bucket seats

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 pm

The liner is called flocking. You apply adhesive then spray on the flocking. Try Hobby Lobby, Michael's or model shops or craft shops. It comes in different colors, too.

This site has 50 colors and how to videos.
http://www.craftflocking.com/

http://www.thefeltcompany.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Suede-Tex-Flockin ... 04ec4364a6

roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Re: 1967 Center Console for bucket seats

Postby roland » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:40 am

I guess, it is better to use an older thread to complete a picturesque description of that mystical Toronado console. I´m proud to tell: I own a original 1967 burgundy Toro with bucket seats/headrests and center console. I did the pictures with the restoration of this fine car. Heard about only some 50+ Toros made with this option. Take special notes to the basic with original GM tag. First picture shows the console in its own parts. Carpet would be glued at the bottom around. So here the pictures to clear the mist:

Roland TOA#860

Return to “Technical Talk”