1966 Anti-Sway Bar End Links

Post your technical questions and information here.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

1966 Anti-Sway Bar End Links

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:19 am

Can you tell I've been under my car a lot lately?

Can any of you tell me the correct length of the steel sleeve in the center of the end links is supposed to be?

Mine is about 1 3/4 inches.

The reason I ask is because some previous idiot installed the end link bolts from the bottom up instead of the top down. He mashed the rubber bushings so flat that they widened out to half dollar size and the hole in the middle became oblong.

Not only that, the dope sawed off about 1 1/2 inches from each end link bolt - presumably because he feared interference with the tie rod ends since it was installed upside down.

This, of course, made it impossible to install new bushings since the old bolt was now too short.

Anyway, I used bolts and urethane bushings I had on hand but used the sleeve that was already on the old setup.

With all that other stuff that was wrong, I just wanted to make sure that the sleeve was actually the correct length for the application. It looks like everything is in the right place but who knows?

Otto Skorzeny

Re: 1966 Anti-Sway Bar End Links

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:38 am

... Bueller?

... Bueller?

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:15 pm

You are supposed to have to trim the ends off the bolts after installation, per the factory guide.
The sleeves I have on my still un-assembled front end are 2.75"
I have the original sleeves somewhere, can't locate them at the moment.
I'd say with the car on the ground the anti-sway bar ends should be more os less level or parallel to the ground.
As long as the ends don't contact any other part of the suspension and do not bind, the length of the end links should have no effect on the function of the bar.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:38 am

Thanks.

Even with the sleeves are an inch shorter than yours, the bar seems to be properly positioned. I used the harder, urethane (or neoprene, I forget) bushings so they aren't smashed down as much - certainly not squeezed to a quarter inch thickness like the old ones. That probably has something to do with why the bar is still level.

Return to “Technical Talk”