Head light Actuator replacements?

Post your technical questions and information here.
bomberman89
TOA Membership Number: 1
Years Owned: 1969 oldsmobile toronado

Head light Actuator replacements?

Postby bomberman89 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:31 am

Hello everyone, my 66 Toronado needs new actuators to get the head lights to pop up.

The parts are hard to come by as it is but since Oldsmobile was a part of GM I was wondering if the actuators off another GM car could work as well?

Has anyone tried using one off a Buick riviera or any other GM car that had hideaway headlights at the time?
I would like to hear your comments and/or suggestions please.

If anyone has done this kind of set please let me know :)

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Head light Actuator replacements?

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:56 pm

You'll need to find a GM Master Parts Manual that lists the interchange of parts between makes if no one here knows. I don't know.

What's wrong with yours? are they rusted or is the diaphragm leaking? You might be able to rebuild yours or find someone to do it for you.

awalgrunt6
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby awalgrunt6 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

When i bought my toronado it had a set of electric actuators in the truck. i plan on using the vacuum still but its an option

hbarbee
TOA Membership Number: 1035
Years Owned: 1969

Postby hbarbee » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 am

If you search for one of my previous posts under name hbarbee or title Headlamp Door Vacuum System Solution, you will find the source for an electric actuator that I installed in a '69. The supplier had one that fit perfectly even though it was not sold for that purpose. You would need 2 for the '66 but you may find a part number in their catalog that has the correct open and close length. I just installed a 2 pole double throw switch under the dash and made it independent of the light switch.
HBARBEE 1969

Return to “Technical Talk”