1966-68 Cruise Control Dial

Post your technical questions and information here.
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

1966-68 Cruise Control Dial

Postby Doc Hubler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 pm

I posted this on the FB site, but though it could be useful to others if I posted it here.

I'm looking for a unit off a parts car. Mine is broken. The sawtooth that controls the cable movement to the cruise control is a plastic piece which can easily break after the plastic become brittle. I've included some pictures here. They are pretty simple. If I can get a good unit, I may try to reproduce these plastic pieces if there's any interest. See picture descriptions for more info.

Speed Control 1.jpg
Speed Control 1.jpg (77.09 KiB) Viewed 4502 times

I put the broken white plastic sawtooth on a black background for easier viewing. The end is broken and that is what connects it to the cable going out to the cruise control unit. The cable just has a 90 degree bend in the wire which likely sits in a groove/hole that broke off the end of this piece. Here you see the dial assembly (as you rotate dial, it operates sawtooth back and forth which in turn operates the cable back and forth). There is a small spring that sits on top of sawtooth between lid to give tension. The lid was pried off. It was "heat sealed" melting the plastic together in several spots to create the sealed unit.

Speed Control 2.jpg
Speed Control 2.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 4502 times

I put the broken white plastic sawtooth on a black background for easier viewing. The end is broken and that is what connects it to the cable going out to the cruise control unit. The cable just has a 90 degree bend in the wire which likely sits in a groove/hole that broke off the end of this piece. Here you see the dial assembly (as you rotate dial, it operates sawtooth back and forth which in turn operates the cable back and forth). There is a small spring that sits on top of sawtooth between lid to give tension. The lid was pried off. It was "heat sealed" melting the plastic together in several spots to create the sealed unit.

Speed Control 3.jpg
Speed Control 3.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 4502 times

Just a closeup of the groove where the sawtooth operates for the cruise control dial assembly. There is a light that goes in the metal housing. There's a small hole that directs the light at the bluish plastic lighting up the numerals on the dial. simple stuff. Maybe not so simple is getting it all readjusted properly once all the pieces are back together. The manual gives a procedure to do this. Requires driving, setting speed control, then readjusting the dial if needed.

Robert Lindberg
TOA Membership Number: 693
Years Owned: 4 years 1966 Toronado

Re: 1966-68 Cruise Control Dial

Postby Robert Lindberg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 am

I also have a cruise control I'd like to repair, I'd like to talk more about them, where are you located and what is your phone number Bob Appleton,
WI

Return to “Technical Talk”