'67 Running Extremely Rich

Post your technical questions and information here.
rt_toro_67
TOA Membership Number: 750
Years Owned: 1967

'67 Running Extremely Rich

Postby rt_toro_67 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 am

Hi everyone, and I appreciate any advice in advance.

Have a '67, when I bought it we discovered someone had installed a carb for a 455 engine on it. I bought a brand new "4MV" carb. When received we took it apart, everything looked new, verified jets were proper and reassembled.

The reason we discovered the original carb was the wrong one was because it was running very rich. Now with the proper new carb, it is running even richer. I mean so rich that people get mad at me sitting behind me at a light, so rich I won't let my kids get near it while running. You get the picture.

We did the following troubleshooting:

- Verified all cylinders are firing.
- Checked vacuum, the engine is pulling 12-16 pounds, which is normal.
- Checked the timing, timing is correct.
- Plugs, wires and other ignition components are new and look good.
- Checked around the carb and gasket to ensure something isn't loose and drawing in air...nothing found.

We followed directions found online to calibrate the idle fuel/air ratio using the screws on the front of the carb, but this seems to have no effect at all. It seems like the carb isn't running on the "idle circuit."

We are completely baffled at this point. Has anyone been through this/have any ideas?

Thanks everyone for any help anyone might suggest.

Roy T

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: '67 Running Extremely Rich

Postby toro_mike » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Contact Sparky... He's the expert in this arena and a Toronado nut! His contact info is on his site:
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

My $.02... Check the fuel well plugs on the bottom of the carb, if 67 had them and if you haven't checked already. This is a very common place to have issues. It just leaks into the intake, causing a very rich condition. Most people JB weld them, and it's reliable if done correctly.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

rt_toro_67 wrote:Hi everyone, and I appreciate any advice in advance.

Have a '67, when I bought it we discovered someone had installed a carb for a 455 engine on it. I bought a brand new "4MV" carb. When received we took it apart, everything looked new, verified jets were proper and reassembled.

The reason we discovered the original carb was the wrong one was because it was running very rich. Now with the proper new carb, it is running even richer. I mean so rich that people get mad at me sitting behind me at a light, so rich I won't let my kids get near it while running. You get the picture.

We followed directions found online to calibrate the idle fuel/air ratio using the screws on the front of the carb, but this seems to have no effect at all. It seems like the carb isn't running on the "idle circuit."
Roy T

Could check, fuel pressure coming in, and that the float is really limiting the level.
Bruce Roe

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 am

Bruce and Mike,

Thank you for the advice! Sorry for the late reply, I was completely away from electronics for almost a week. Which really isn't a bad thing.

Thanks again, we'll take a look at these things.

Roy T

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:33 pm

HOW do you know it's rich and not lean?

When a vehicle has a stinky, eye-burning exhaust stench, the usual problem is that the mixture is so lean that the engine misfires.

12--16 inches of vacuum is not "normal"; it's low, unless you're measuring it in-gear.

"Brand new" Q-Jet carburetors haven't been available except as dusty-box items for years and years. Is this a brand-new REBUILT carb? One of the left-over Edelbrock units? Something found on a shelf somewhere that'd been lost for twenty or thirty years? What is the carb number?

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 am

Schurkey-thank you for your response and sorry for the delay. I'm willing to look into any possibility. My apologies for calling the carb "brand new". It was rebuilt but done nicely. I bought it from the guy that calls himself "Rocket Scientist" from Lansing, MI. It is a model number 7027131 and my mechanic is highly confident it is the right carb with the right jets.

I will have to double check, but my I'm pretty sure my shop manual for the car states that the vacuum we measured was in the OK range.

So this gives us something else to consider, if it is running extremely lean. I have some things to go by if it is running rich (starting with the fuel plugs on the bottom of the carb as pointed out by another helpful poster), now to try to figure out remedies if it could be running lean.

I will share your thoughts with my mechanic friend and see if I missed anything.

THANK YOU!!

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:53 am

7027131 is the correct carb for a '67 that doesn't have CCC or any other emission option. Other than the excellent well-plug advice, verify your idle mixture screws are set at 1.5 turns out each. They wouldn't be enough to cause the REALLY rich issue but one more thing to check. Good luck.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Return to “Technical Talk”