What Lubricant is Used in The Final Drive (Differential)?

Post your technical questions and information here.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

What Lubricant is Used in The Final Drive (Differential)?

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:16 am

Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual both specifically state NOT to use conventional differential fluid (I'm assuming they're referring to 90 weight or heavier gear oil).

They recommend using their own special proprietary brew called "Oldsmobile Special Lubricant, Part No. 1050015. Sounds exciting.

Anyway, what is that stuff and what equivalent product can you buy today? Also, where exactly is the plug located for checking this?

Otto Skorzeny

Re: What Lubricant is Used in The Final Drive (Differential)

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Probably doesn't matter but this is a 1966 Deluxe.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:02 pm

So no one on this site has ever had to add oil to the differential on a '66 Toro?

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Mine is empty as it is laying on the floor in my garage, but I seem to remember that the requirement was to use the same oil that went in positraction rear ends.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

bluecab wrote:Mine is empty as it is laying on the floor in my garage, but I seem to remember that the requirement was to use the same oil that went in positraction rear ends.

Which is.....?

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 pm

I have to go back and see if the 67 manual says anything more specific. I also need to know this soon as my final drive has bee apart and is ready for reassembly now.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm

I used a modern synthetic gear lube 75W-90 weight. It should work well and last indefinitely. I know there are differences in the early year (Planetary vs. a more traditional design) but I doubt it matters. Keep in mind the performance of modern synthetics is far higher than that of the fluids they had available.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VAL2/975/N2365.oap?ck=Search_N2365_-1_2538&pt=N2365&ppt=C1985

I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:06 pm

I agree that synthetics are superior in some cases but when the manual specifically says NOT to use something I don't want to take chances. The standard diff back then would have taken the 75-90 gear oil but Olds says no dice on the Toro.

We need to know what was required and what the difference was between it and the regular stuff.

For all I know they want you to use 30 weight in there.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I am not so sure it is that critical today. It is a planetary gear, so it wants a slightly thinner viscosity.

Here is a discussion that largely confirms my recommendation:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/66-olds-toronado-139383.html

I also spoke with Vic at AppliedGMC and he also felt that this gear lube will work well for you. Keep in mind modern lubes are far more versatile than what they had back in the 60s. Sure, sometimes the requirements do change as we know from ATF and Engine Oil formulations, but gear oil is for the most part gear oil even today.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 am

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... 136&page=1

Also found from another source that the original lube was superseded by GM P/N 1050081, which is a positraction-fortified gear lube.

Rumor has it that these "special" differential fluids were whale-oil based, just like the early ATF.

Return to “Technical Talk”