Secondaries Not Opening (I think)

Post your technical questions and information here.
tera155
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Secondaries Not Opening (I think)

Postby tera155 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi, I have a 66 Toronado -- had the carb rebuilt by Sparky about 10 years ago but the car has only about 1000 miles on it since the rebuild. I had it out today with a friend and asked him if he thought the secondaries were opening -- he said definitely not.

Engine was warmed up -- was a hot day -- and we were driving up a 6% grade hill and I floored it several times -- we didn't think the secondaries opened.

I installed the carb after the rebuild -- I thought I did it right -- since the car ran -- but it could be that I did something wrong during the installation.

Any advice welcome. Rds, Thad

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Re: Secondaries Not Opening (I think)

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:49 am

Mine was acting similar, and it turned out to be a loose screw that connected the secondary to the secondary rods.
Rod hanger screw is maybe what its called? Mine wasn't tight, and it was binding the linkage.
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm

1. Choke lock-out jammed "on".

2. Gasket displaced, blocking secondary throttle blades.

3. Throttle shaft seized in throttle body.

4. Missing linkage rod from primary to secondary.

I've seen all four of these over the course of thirty--forty years.

tera155

Postby tera155 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:42 pm

To provide an update -- watched some good youtube videos on quadrajets. Here is what is happening.
1. the lower secondaries butterfly was opening -- which are mechanical.
2. I think my choke pull off is bad. I disconnected the vacuum line to the choke pull off and put a golf tee in the hose -- then after letting the car warm up took it out for a ride and got on it a few times -- and could now hear the noticeable difference of the secondaries opening.

I have ordered a new choke pull off on eBay for $10 -- hopefully that will fix it. I will note that with the existing choke pull off connected once the car turns off in about 3 seconds the diaphragm does move the lock out bar -- but apparently when running either the carb isn't cutting the vacuum enough to open the air flange or the pull off is bad (or just not responsive enough).

PS I hope all is okay with Sparky -- this carb was a Sparky rebuild -- I emailed him and posted on his FB page but haven't hear from him -- could be he is on vacation -- hope it is something fun.

Thanks for the posts and advice. Rds, Thad

tera155

Postby tera155 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I fixed it with a new choke pull off -- that is the white plastic disk on the choke side of the carb.

$10 part from ebay -- now the secondaries work -- I got a lot of good info from quadrajet youtube videos btw.

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 am

Great to hear youre back on all 4. If you get the chance, please post pics.
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059

Return to “Technical Talk”