67 Bearing Repack

Post your technical questions and information here.
waterzap
TOA Membership Number: 1058
Years Owned: - 1967 Toronado
- 1978 Eldorado

67 Bearing Repack

Postby waterzap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:00 am

Planning to repack the front bearings on my 67. Nothing wrong with them as far as I can tell, just clean and repack. The previous owner also had them repacked once before.
Have replaced bearings on my 76 Seville before. This pretty much the same? I have the manual, but want to know if there are any tricks?
Take wheels off, loosen nut, bearings fall out? What is the best way to clean them before repacking? Torque specs afterwards ?

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: 67 Bearing Repack

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am

Hahaha, no :P

The bearings are pressed onto the spindle, they don't fall out.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be less than helpful, because I'm not sure how you'd go about just packing them. Replacing my bearings was hands down the WORST part of converting my '66 to disc brakes, and rebuilding the front suspension.

I think, if you want to repack the inner race, you pretty much have to remove the outer one... The only way I could get mine off, was to take a die grinder and cut a notch in them so my air chisel could knock it off.

Maybe someone else will chime in and make me look like an idiot, but I had a bear of a time with mine.
TOA #839

waterzap
TOA Membership Number: 1058
Years Owned: - 1967 Toronado
- 1978 Eldorado

Re: 67 Bearing Repack

Postby waterzap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:25 am

Oh no…
Seville was so easy. I was actually surprised just how easy it was. 30 min job per wheel probably.
I saw the CV boot on the one side is also torn. How difficult is a shaft replacement? I see you can buy the whole shaft online.

Return to “Technical Talk”