1966 Toronado No reverse and no 3rd gear

Post your technical questions and information here.
pr129tbird
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 toronado owned since 1984!

Postby pr129tbird » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I wanted to know if anything can be done without taking this apart and rebuilding it? When I shift it into reverse I hear like the drum/clutch engaging but nothing happens, engine just revs up. When in drive it goes fine in first (NO SLIPPING) and shifts nicely into second but no third gear. I have had this problem with another 66 toronado years ago and dont know what the problem is or how to fix it. Any external adjustments??? Also how hard is one of these trannys to rebuild? I am VERY VERY handy and can fix anything so my skill level is high! :)

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Re: 1966 Toronado No reverse and no 3rd gear

Postby 1977 Cutly » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm

A 425 rebuild is in your future.

I've used Lucas transmission restore to bring back a TH400 and limp a few more weeks of it. Third was gone in that too, the Lucas brought it back.... for a short while.

I have seen several automatics rebuilt now and might be willing to try one myself. HOT ROD and Car Craft both have articles on rebuilds. I say go for it, but make sure to buy a good manual on the TH400/425 before you do.
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 pm

pr129tbird wrote:I wanted to know if anything can be done without taking this apart and rebuilding it? When I shift it into reverse I hear like the drum/clutch engaging but nothing happens, engine just revs up. When in drive it goes fine in first (NO SLIPPING) and shifts nicely into second but no third gear. I have had this problem with another 66 toronado years ago and dont know what the problem is or how to fix it. Any external adjustments??? Also how hard is one of these trannys to rebuild? I am VERY VERY handy and can fix anything so my skill level is high!

I learned to rebuild my TH400 from the factory service manual. A few special tools really
help. From there the TH425 is somewhat more difficult. Sometimes those old transmissions
have good hard parts; a $28 rubber seal kit is all it needs. Bruce Roe

pr129tbird
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 toronado owned since 1984!

Postby pr129tbird » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 am

do you think its a pressure problem?? Now that you mentioned it I had a 1965 thunderbird that when cold would NOT go into reverse and it didnt go into third until it warmed up. My toronado dosnt go into reverse or 3rd at all but it was shifting fine and didnt slip or anything. It seemed at the end that once in awhile I'd put it into reverse and then I thought I was crazy because it wouldnt catch, THen all of a sudden click and it was in reverse! I wonder what seal would cause a pressure loss and to where??

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:25 am

I recently bought a rebuilt trans from Manny Troveo of Manny's Tranny's. So far so good, although I did have to helicoil a mounting bolt hole.

He charged me about $1,250 including shipping which is a good deal. I went with a Switch Pitch which added about $300 or so to the cost.

Otherwise you can take it to a good local shop or if you are adventurous try rebuilding it yourself. That said, I am pretty advanced in mechanics but would never consider rebuilding it myself until I have a better shop.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

hullinger
TOA Membership Number: 998
Years Owned: 1966

Postby hullinger » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Not trying to question your ability, but..., have you check the fluid in the trans? Is if full, does it have any foul smells or dirty coloring? That could be a big indicator of what is needed.

Return to “Technical Talk”