Headlamp Door Vacuum System Solution

Post your technical questions and information here.
hbarbee
TOA Membership Number: 1035
Years Owned: 1969

Re: Headlamp Door Vacuum System Solution

Postby hbarbee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 pm

There is no real reason that the headlight door operation has to be tied to the headlight switch. The actuator requires 12V DC of reversing polarity to open and close the doors. That is why I used a DPDT switch. It is very simple. The actuator travel is not adjustable. It cuts itself off when it reaches the end of travel and the circuit does not have to be opened. Just reverse polarity when you want the doors to go the other way. It takes about 2.5 A to operate. There is enough slop in the headlight door mechanism that your measured travel does not have to match the spec on the unit exactly. The unit I described above is perfect for the 68-69 design.

I believe the 66-67 have dual actuators because I remember seeing those cars with one open and the other closed, which you will never see on the 68-69. In any case this supplier has quite a variety of travel length models and one of them should work and could be switched in parallel.
HBARBEE 1969

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 am

While there is no reason it must be connected to the headlights, many might want that.

However, it is also nice to be able to open the lights independently, so in my case I would be inclined to use a circuit that would allow either option. It has been a while since I wired any such switch setup, but I do believe it can be done without too much hassle.

On the other hand it might be one more thing I could add to the list of things I am considering using an Arduino microcontroller system for... :ugeek:
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

waterzap
TOA Membership Number: 1058
Years Owned: - 1967 Toronado
- 1978 Eldorado

Postby waterzap » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 am

I am going to have to go this route, seeing I cannot really get vacuum actuators for my 67. I will probably install a switch at first too. I can always improve it later on with relays, connecting to headlights etc.
So the actuators stay lengthened when current is cut off?
Ill take some pics once I start installing the actuators

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:06 am

Yes, the actuators almost certainly stay extended once the power is removed. Actuators can be built either way, but I have to believe HBarbee chose wisely and these will stay extended.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Harbee, how is the upgrade working out for you? I am about ready to order the actuator and it would be nice to know how well it has worked over time.

duwen10
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 66 toronado

Postby duwen10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:09 pm

I have these installed in my 66. I love the reliability. I will get to enjoy them again once I finally finish my harness install.

hbarbee

Postby hbarbee » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 am

I have had no problems so far. I cycle it every chance I get even when not needed. As I mentioned in the original post, the only mod you will have to do is slightly enlarge the diameter of the hole in the bottom support plate to allow the lower shaft of the actuator to fit through. I used 2 small hex bolts of appropriate length and diameter with nylon self locking nuts at each end of the actuator to install it.
HBARBEE 1969

sunglasses1991
TOA Membership Number: 1224
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado

Postby sunglasses1991 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:16 pm

What did you use for the top pin to the doors? I tried using a 1/4-20 X 3" bolt, but it binds up on the threads.

Thanks

hbarbee

Postby hbarbee » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:41 am

Sorry, I have been away from the site for a while. Does anyone have any questions on this installation? Mine works fine. That model unit fits as if it was made for this use even though it was not. I left mine with a separate switch under the dash and left all of the other original vacuum gear in place for looks.
HBARBEE 1969

Mrtoro67
TOA Membership Number: 1322
Years Owned: 1967 Olds Toronado

Postby Mrtoro67 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 am

duwen10 wrote:I have these installed in my 66. I love the reliability. I will get to enjoy them again once I finally finish my harness install.

I have a 67 with sleepy eyes what vendors did you use for electric actuators?

Return to “Technical Talk”