Carb inlet stripped on my 68

Post your technical questions and information here.
dan68toro
TOA Membership Number: 560

Carb inlet stripped on my 68

Postby dan68toro » Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 am

Got a lot of gas fumes after I ran the car for a while. Upon further inspection noticed I was getting a drip of gas from inlet. Thank god I didnt have a fire. Carb inlet is stripped.....Has anyone used JB Weld to seal the inlet before? Is there a better fix? I have an inline filter already. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

tadmin
Site Admin

Re: Carb inlet stripped on my 68

Postby tadmin » Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

dan68toro wrote:Got a lot of gas fumes after I ran the car for a while. Upon further inspection noticed I was getting a drip of gas from inlet. Thank god I didnt have a fire. Carb inlet is stripped.....Has anyone used JB Weld to seal the inlet before? Is there a better fix? I have an inline filter already. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I have not, nor would try JB Weld. The preferred method of repair is to helicoil in inlet. You should just send it to Sparky, so it is done right. That's not something you want to mess around with.

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm

There are--or were--aftermarket repair parts to replace a leaking fuel inlet fitting. Some fuel inlets are intended to have a gasket at the "front" of the threads, some are intended to have the gasket at the "rear" of the threads. They are not mix-and-match, you must use the correct style inlet for the carb body.

One style of repair inlet uses O-rings to seal the inlet to the carb body. They typically have self-tapping threads similar to oversize oil pan drain plugs.

First Guess: Still available as NOS items, but no longer manufactured.

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Return to “Technical Talk”