URGENT! 1977 will not crank. No start/No crank.

Post your technical questions and information here.
pooleo
TOA Membership Number: 0

URGENT! 1977 will not crank. No start/No crank.

Postby pooleo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 pm

I just got this 77 a few weeks ago. The car sat for 8 yrs prior to ownership. So far I have done the following:

Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor.
Oil Change.
New valve cover gaskets.

The car was cranking over and was eventually starting. It would start and run for about 5-10sec. then die. I had to do this about 6-8 times before the car would idle on its own.

3 days ago the car would not start. It was sounding like the battery was dying so I stopped and put the charger on over night.

Next day I come out, hit the key. Still sounds like the battery is dead....WTF!. I put in my (literally brand new) Optima yellow top from my truck.

Still cranks slow.

I tried a few more times before the car just did nothing. Like the battery was completely dead. I put the optima back in my truck and it started right up.

Now, with a fully charged battery (checked with multi-meter) the car does nothing. The interior dash lights will come on with the key to ON. The headlights work and the car seems to have power to all things power.

The only thing I hear is the sound of a spring going "TWANG" under the dash. There is a metal box in/by the fuse panel that I can feel "TWANG" when I hit the key to crank.

I unplugged it and thought I could also hear a "TWANG" from under the hood. But could not know for sure since the hood is so damn long and I dont have an extra set of hands.

I must get this car started back up before Wed. April 3rd. Im having carpal tunnel surgery on my hand and need to get this thing moved!

Please, any help is greatly appreciated. The only thing I can find online is some info about a "re-set relay" for the starter. I will check on this tomaro.

69W34

Re: URGENT! 1977 will not crank. No start/No crank.

Postby 69W34 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm

the twang sounds like relay engaging, do you have lights and so forth or nothing at all?
Bill
TOA #1

pooleo

Postby pooleo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 am

Yes, lights work and have power to everything.

I'm thinking that perhaps a wire got to hot and melted...? And perhaps this is what the dying sound was. It sounded like a dying battery, even with my yellow top. So maybe the battery was fine, but a wiring overloading was causing this...?

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm

First: if there was enough energy to melt a wire smoke would have been pouring out from some where, and it wound not be pretty! Among other things I think I would be looking for a new/rebuilt/replacement started motor. Presuming the points (dwell) and time are set correctly, a host of problems with cranking and low RPM running, this being something going on with the engine internally, the ability of the motor to spin freely,as timing chain has jumped teeth up-setting not only ignition timing but valve timing as well not to mention inadequate oiling or related issues.
All thing being the engine wants to run short of a thrown rod I've seen motors in realty sad shape start and run some of which i was simply amazed with.
Bill
TOA #1

pooleo

Postby pooleo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Today, after replacing the left/right brake hoses, I started back with the cranking issue. I had a friend over and could feel/hear clicking from the coil...?

Anyhow, we decide to just pull the starter. One of the wires going to the postive on the starter was completly exposed and the wire showing was all sorts of corroded.

I put the starter on the bench and hit it with the jumper cables. It did nothing but hum.

Starter was special order and should be here tomaro. Going to fix the wire and give her a crank with a new starter....see what happens.

Return to “Technical Talk”