Just how bad are factory Drum brakes on '66?

Post your technical questions and information here.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Just how bad are factory Drum brakes on '66?

Postby xgecko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:47 am

Not sure if you are interested in how the Kanter parts work on a bog-stock '69 disk brake car but if you are I can tell you they are very high quality parts with no price differential between versions of the knuckle. I ended up returning the set of ball joints I got from Rare Parts even with the 20% restocking fee as I still netted $200 back and the Kanter kit included the tie rod ends I needed anyway - essentially for free. And a complete set of rubber bushings to boot. The Kanter kit is a heckuva value indeed! :shock:
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Alright, looks like I'm buying a set of rechromed wheels from John Dorcey! So I'll be set to go with starting this project.... Well, except the torsion bar unloader, I still have to pick one out... There's a few on eBay that people have used once, and no longer need... That's probably where I'll turn. $250 for a tool I'll likely only use once or twice seems a bit steep. $70-100 is much more reasonable :D

Probably this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GM ... veQ5fTools
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 am

You might try Autozone or one of the other parts stores that will loan tools out. They might have one for the trucks that will work for the Toro.

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am

xgecko wrote:You might try Autozone or one of the other parts stores that will loan tools out. They might have one for the trucks that will work for the Toro.

The only parts store around here that loans tools is o'Reily's. They don't even have a tool on their website. I plan on double-checking when I go there today, But, that tool's only about $70, and I find that reasonable enough that I'd like to have one on hand.
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

It is good to have one on hand, that is my rationale. I intend to do my '68 at some point and my truck uses the same torsion bar suspension so it was not that hard to justify. What hurt was realizing that Summit carries these things for much less than I paid...

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Alright, I found a place I should be able to get an actual GM BT-6601 for removing my torsion bars :D I'm still waiting to find price information. Apparently, this guy went to a bunch of closing dealerships and bought up all the tools, and is selling them off... If it goes smoothly, I'll write a review up in the product information part....

Now, I also found the proportioning valve I want. It comes with a mounting bracket that attatches to the same point as the master cyl. And even comes with the lines to hook it up, for $60 :D The only question I have, is what kind of threads do the factory lines have?

I plan to replace the front lines with all new. But the line to the rear is all in very good shape. And, would be a massive pain to replace. So I figure I'll just plug off the extra ports in the little distribution block from the factory, and run one line up to the prop valve, then go off to the front wheels with their own new lines.

There's two valves available, both the same price, one just has a different size outlet for the rear brakes. I'm guessing I need the 3/8ths, as those lines look fairly small... but I'd like some confirmation on that.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Disc-Drum ... ,9878.html

Thanks
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:46 pm

I ended up with a similar conclusion regarding the rear brake lines. I bought a rear hose but when I looked at the hose in place it looked decent enough and a royal pain to clean up so I left it for the upcoming winter refresh. I also had visions of replacing every single line in the car but when I took many of the front lines off they were in such good condition I felt it pointless to replace them. This lead me to believe that the rear lines, which had been undercoated along with everything else, might not be so bad after all. And they have the factory mounting and straight, smooth lines. It turns out while I might as well change the rear hose, the lines look perfectly fine.

You do need to make sure you have the valve that introduces a slight delay on the front brakes so the rear stabilize the car by introducing drag on the rear axle first. This is the cast iron block that is mounted to the Master Cylinder on the bolt that connects the MC to the Power Booster. I think I got mine from Inline Tube.

As for the size of the thread, I can't quite remember. I ended up cleaning up my distribution block and just painted it before putting it back. It seems to work fine, thankfully.

I have a Hydroboost hydraulic Power Booster coming in tomorrow which will be a significant upgrade in braking power while solving my little vacuum problem that has had me growing an enormous right leg of late... :shock: turns out the cam is a bit too aggressive to power the vacuum booster. I suspect it is partially due to the massive braking requirements of these cars. The specs on the cam do support vacuum boosters, but perhaps only in the smaller A-body cars.

Not that I am bothered, Hydroboost will give me rock solid feel and fantastic power. The Eldorado I bought for parts had fantastic brake feel even after 33 years. I ended up finding a hydroboost unit online and am going to have the Eldorado unit rebuilt so I can use it in my 68. I will convert any other cars I get to Hydroboost in the future if it performs anywhere near as good as I expect.

Of course it will be anything but stock... ;) but such a small price to pay for such performance! 8-)

Good luck in your efforts. Now that I have my car back on the road, I feel for you. :cry: These cars are truly amazing!

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 pm

xgecko wrote:I ended up with a similar conclusion regarding the rear brake lines. I bought a rear hose but when I looked at the hose in place it looked decent enough and a royal pain to clean up so I left it for the upcoming winter refresh. I also had visions of replacing every single line in the car but when I took many of the front lines off they were in such good condition I felt it pointless to replace them. This lead me to believe that the rear lines, which had been undercoated along with everything else, might not be so bad after all. And they have the factory mounting and straight, smooth lines. It turns out while I might as well change the rear hose, the lines look perfectly fine.

You do need to make sure you have the valve that introduces a slight delay on the front brakes so the rear stabilize the car by introducing drag on the rear axle first. This is the cast iron block that is mounted to the Master Cylinder on the bolt that connects the MC to the Power Booster. I think I got mine from Inline Tube.

Well, I was refering to the stainless lines :P I'm replacing all the rubber components, I plan to put DOT5 fluid in when I do this. And the old fluid can sometimes stick to the inside of the rubber bits, and they don't mix well.

As for the valve portion, that's the first I've heard of such a thing... But, this valve is essentially everything in one package, like all valves from '71 on... it's got metering, and proportioning in it. To the best of my knowledge, there was just the master cyl, prop valve, and straight to the brakes on most cars... or are ours different?

Thanks for the reply, as always :D
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:08 am

Well, since you say that the valve you are looking at includes the metering valve, you should be fine. I was unaware that this valve included it; I would have bought that valve instead. The documentation that goes with the valve sure makes it clear there is a metering valve in there. Wish I had seen that as I paid dearly for my metering valve and reused my distribution block.

I assume that since my manual calls the valve I mentioned a metering valve then the functionality is the same.

Hmmm. Perhaps when I do the 68 I will go this route.

Thanks for the info!

68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

Postby 68 Toro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 pm

This proportioning valve and brake light wire cost me $ 93 from InLineTube.com
Attachments
PropValve[1].JPG
PropValve[1].JPG (19.35 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

Return to “Technical Talk”