Signs of an engine overhaul?

Post your technical questions and information here.
gearhead141
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966/67

Postby gearhead141 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am

I have looked at a lot of pictures on the web of Toronado engine bays, and most all of the engines are painted the blue color. I see an ad for a 1966 Toro nearby and it has a photo of the engine, but it is not that normal color I'm used to seeing. This thing is painted red, which makes me ponder the thought of an overhaul being done at some point. Also, these engines were used in motorhomes and perhaps it came out of one. Maybe some of you out there in the Toronado community can shed some light on this topic.
Attachments
1966 Toro engine bay.png
1966 Toro engine bay.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 10614 times

gearhead141

Re: Signs of an engine overhaul?

Postby gearhead141 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 am

Some further searching shows that the red color came on 425 and 455 engines from 1968-69, so maybe it was replaced. Does it look like the heater hose is connected in a loop? And shouldn't there be a metal tube running across the passenger side valve cover for that hose?

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes on both counts.

The heater core looks like it's been bypassed which means it's probably leaking. I can't zoom in on the picture enough to see clearly but both hoses should enter the heater core right there on the passenger side firewall which is actually the heater plenum. I see what look like two black circles which are probably the openings of the inlet and outlet tubes of the core.

The FSM says that the hood must be removed to replace the heater core on ac equipped models which might explain why someone chose to bypass it rather than replace it.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Are you thinking about this car to restore? If you want a nice '66 Toronado to drive around rather than a project, I would avoid this car and keep looking for one that is in better shape and hasn't been molested.

From the other pictures of the interior and what I could see of the exterior, I personally wouldn't pay more that $3000 for it. And I wouldn't even pay that because I would rather drive a car than work on it. This one needs a complete interior and paint job - assuming there are no other bodywork issues.

I have seen much better examples for sale in the price range of this one.

There are two for sale on ebay right now with buy it now/ best offer prices of $11,000 and $12,000. Between the interior, exterior and heater core (and who knows what else), you'll spend a lot more than $6000 to bring this car up to the level of the other two.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 am

The 425 engine was never used in the GM motorhome, they used 455 or 403. However
they will physically interchange. I use the 403 emissions engine, which will run, and run,
and run with minimum maintenance on crap unleaded. Bruce Roe

gearhead141

Postby gearhead141 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 am

I am not seriously thinking of buying this car, but it raises some questions; that red engine for one. I agree that the exterior and interior need far too much work for the asking price. You are correct Bruce that the 425 was not used in the motorhome, but were there 425 engines that came in a factory red color? I thought the 425 was only in the 66-67 Toronados and thereafter Oldsmobile went to the 455. Or were there red 425 engines in the 63-65 big cars? Another pet peeve of mine is changing colors on cars. I tried it once and was never really happy with the results. So with that in mind, I am always looking for a car in the color I like. Granted, the paint on this one is so far gone that it is hard to tell what it was, but in the engine bay I can tell it was a beautiful turquois. I believe that the color was called Ocean Mist?The seller of this car also said it has transmission problems, so that is also a strike against it. And a question to all of you out there, how well does a Toronado fit in the garage? I mean, this car is very large! I read that it is 18 feet long; that's pickup truck length!

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

There were 330 and 425 engines, switch pitch transmissions in lots of Olds through
1967. 1968 went to 350 and 455, no switch pitch. Externally all these parts interchange,
not so much internally. That car sounds like a complete refresh of the drive train, possibly
only a few new (plastic and rubber) parts needed. I never notice what color things are
painted. Bruce Roe

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:54 pm

It depends on what you consider large. It's not as long as my '56 Cadillac (yet it weighs only about 130 lbs less).

The downward curve of the front end, the flared fenders, and poor rear visibility makes it harder to park in tight spaces. You can't see the front fender flares from the drivers seat and you might think the knife edge top of the fender is the edge of the car.

The Cadillac is a dream to park, even parallel. The Toro requires a lot of Linda Blair head turning to park.

It's not quite 18 feet long. I think it's about 17' 6" or so.

Return to “Technical Talk”