Scam or Real?

List Toronados for sale here.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Scam or Real?

Postby bluecab » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 am

Found on Cars for sale .com:

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_fo ... 09498721_4

Ad says the car is in Ohio.

I got an email stating that the seller wants to ship it to me from Washington state, being deployed overseas, etc. Payment via Amazon Payments ( which IS real).

Don't have time to fly cross country to see it, but if it is real 3k seems like short money for a runner with a paint job.

Caveat Emptor

orman_s
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

Re: Scam or Real?

Postby orman_s » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 pm

There isn't a chance in hell I would send some random dude a bunch of money in the hopes the car would show up on my doorstep....especially when the guy is supposedly being deployed.

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Me neither. Part of the deal is (supposedly) using Amazon Payments, where you get to look at the car when it is delivered before you pay...
I am an Amazon member, but have no knowledge of the workings of Amazon Payments.
I would still hire an inspector or get a cheap roundtrip to look at any car I bought. :roll:

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm

bluecab wrote:Me neither. Part of the deal is (supposedly) using Amazon Payments, where you get to look at the car when it is delivered before you pay...
I am an Amazon member, but have no knowledge of the workings of Amazon Payments.
I would still hire an inspector or get a cheap roundtrip to look at any car I bought. :roll:

I'm sure that's a scam. Hire an agent to look at it for you but don't send money sight unseen.

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Gotta be a scam.
Here's the last email;

"The vehicle is already at our Military Logistic Department in Fort Lewis, WA, U.S. Army base, crated and ready to go. The Logistic Department will deliver it to your home. The shipping is free for you. Since the vehicle is in a military base, with no access you can not go there and take it only the Logistic Department can deliver it because the vehicle is in their custody.
I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. I would like to use Amazon Payments as a third party. In order to complete the transaction the payment must be sent to Amazon Payments through bank transfer. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the vehicle and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep it. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see it before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 5 days to inspect it (the 5 days starting from the moment when you will get it). If you decide not to keep it Amazon Payments will refund the money and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won't be the case.
If you want to buy it please email me your full name and address for delivery so I can initiate the transaction through Amazon Payments. After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms, buyer protection, payment instructions, invoice, etc.).

Waiting your email. Thank you.
Lacey"

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Funny how these Nigerians (and lately Russians) never seem to quite get a handle on English grammar.

Stubbe
TOA Membership Number: 173

Postby Stubbe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Mike AKA Stubbe

TOA 173
1966 Deluxe

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 am

Wow! That's one of those ultra-rare 1965 models!

shapatan

Postby shapatan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 am

The shipping is free for you. Since the vehicle is in a military base, with no access you can not go there and take it only the Logistic Department can deliver it because the vehicle is in their custody.
I have setup this sale with Amazon Payments so this deal must go through them. I would like to use Amazon Payments as a third party. In order to complete the transaction the payment must be sent to Amazon Payments through bank transfer. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the vehicle and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep it. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see it before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 5 days to inspect it (the 5 days starting from the moment when you will get it). If you decide not to keep it Amazon Payments will refund the money and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won't be the case.???

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:04 pm

It's a big time scam.

A friend of mine showed me virtually the same ad with the same wording for a Karman Ghia he was thinking about.

Return to “For Sale: Toronados”