Update on Aluminum Calipers - will not fit unless modified

This category includes shocks, ball joints, idler arms, steering gear, brake shoes, drums, master cylinder, etc.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Update on Aluminum Calipers - will not fit unless modified

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 am

:cry: Well, it looks like our wheels are once again limiting our choices. When I assembled everything and was able to actually attempt to put the wheel on it did indeed interfere with the caliper.

I attempted to grind down the caliper and bailed when it seemed like it might be too much - however, after I removed them from the car I suspect I may yet be able to get them to work.

I do, however, have a set of rebuilt stock calipers which I decided to revert to for this summer. This allows me to baseline the performance of these while also moving forward with a minumum of hassle now that the season is upon us.

I will be upgrading the entire braking system next fall with parts from a 1978 Eldorado I bought last weekend for the rear disks and the Hydroboost hydraulic power brakes. Thus I think I will make another attempt at that point given that I already destroyed one caliper. My sense is that they can be shaved down enough to work but you will need a strong constitution to accomplish this with more than $300 worth of parts... :shock:

So my current recommendation is that this be considered unproven and not a valid solution for most folks. I can also say that simply painting the cast iron calipers results in a signficant visual upgrade when combined with the chrome wheels...

I will now take myself out back and spank myself for having made the original post without complete verification... :oops:
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Update on Aluminum Calipers - will not fit unless modifi

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeouch, that was an expensive experiment... Guess i'm going with the regular '69 calipers :P

Hey, speaking of chrome wheels, you wouldn't know where I could find a set wouldya? I'm surprised how hard they are to acquire. I figured there'd be a big pile of them with all the parts cars people usually keep.... wheels are the last thong holding up my disc conversion. Just ordered my Firehawks, cuz no local shop could get them.
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah, I am pretty certain they can be shaved to fit, but I decided to hold off for now. I might as well try to make the one fit since it is already trashed, but now I have all summer to work on it. My current goal, as you probably can relate to, is to get behind the wheel as soon as safely and practically possible. 8-)

My chrome set came with my '69. My '68 came with grey painted wheels. My ultimate goal is to have 17" wheels custom made at some point with a modern 5 spoke look. Gotta figure out what will look good though as I have seen several pics online that looked... best I not say. :shock:

I hope to get the starter installed today then finish the right side knuckle and axle install. After that I need to get a welder as I decided to weld the new exhaust instead of using clamps. Looking at a Lincoln 180C MIG welder next week.

Once I get the exhaust I will put in the radiator with the 2 Summit Racing 16" electric fans that fit perfectly.

I hope to finish the engine bits and throw on the carb and cross my fingers sometime around the end of the month... :P

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Sounds like a plan to me :D Been there. I'm on hold again personally, one of my tires decided to decintigrate and took some of my Q/P along with it. My tires looked perfectly serviceable a week ago... but they all look nightmarish now... rubber rotted, and I didn't notice till much to late :-S

The metal work should be easy, I just gotta get off my kiester and do it. no rush since I'm waiting 2 weeks for my tires to get here...

I think my welder is a Lincoln 180... I've had it for 3 years now... and it's still new in the box :P haven't had anywhere I could plug it in 'till now.

I've seen alot of aftermarket wheels on Toro's... mostly here:

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/index.htm

Which has technical information on our wheel-needs, if you happen to need such information when you go to get yours made. As well as just alot of general information that's really helpfull.

I have yet to see a single toronado that had aftermarket wheels that I liked the looks of over the factory. Mine are painted steel, and I really do like how they look with the centers and trim rings. But, if I gotta replace my wheels to use disc, I'm goin' chrome :D

Best of luck getting her going by the end of the month!
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Ouch! I bought my '68 with a crushed passenger fender, valence bumper and damaged door so I am going to get a parts car and use that for new panels. However, I suspect that it is very possible to do a fine repair with a mig welder given how thick the steel on these things is.

I do know about that link, it is where I got all my info and did my own search which confirmed there is no way to get custom wheels for it. It is indeed a good source.

I am going to try to figure out if I can find something that works. If I fail I may go the Leno route and duplicate the original look in a larger rim. 8-)

Got the starter in and realized I had not marked the wires when I took it out... :shock: I put the red wire on the block side of the solenoid and the yellow wire on the outboard side. I am pretty sure that is right... :?

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Watch for a special feature covering wheels and brake in the up coming issue of Driver Magazine. I am sure many will find it very informative.

Also John Dorcey jdoctoro@aol.com has 66-67 drum and 67-70 disc (welded) re-chromed wheels at a very competitive prices give all if the handing involved.
Bill
TOA #1

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 pm

69W34 wrote:Watch for a special feature covering wheels and brake in the up coming issue of Driver Magazine. I am sure many will find it very informative.

Also John Dorcey jdoctoro@aol.com has 66-67 drum and 67-70 disc (welded) re-chromed wheels at a very competitive prices give all if the handing involved.

Yup, I just bought a set of re-chromed disc brake wheels from him. Along with a set of beauty rings to go with them. Looking forward to getting them, and getting my toro back on the road.
TOA #839

Return to “Suspension, Brakes & Steering”