CS-130 Alternator Upgrade

Anything that you can see under the hood, all underhood electrical, fuel, coolant and A/C.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

CS-130 Alternator Upgrade

Postby xgecko » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:56 am

I found that the electric fans I installed really crushed the voltage levels with the original 10DN type alternator. After some investigation I determined the simplest solution was to upgrade to a CS-130 style internally regulated alternator and after a fair amount of looking around I found this unit that was originally specified for a 1988 Chevy Caprice Wagon with the Olds 307 engine:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT0/010381.oap?year=1988&make=Chevrolet&model=Caprice&vi=1037089&ck=Search_01468_1037089_2538&pt=01468&ppt=C0330

I installed it yesterday in a few minutes using this harness (Delco DN to CS - Part # W315CS):

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=81

It took just a few minutes to remove the old alternator, find a bolt to replace the original upper bolt due to the new alternator having no threads in the small ear and installing the wiring harness adapters (they provide a jumper for the Voltage Regulator connector that jumps two contacts; you can also jump these inside the case to maintain a stock look if desired). The result is rock solid voltage at any engine speed with or without the fans cranking. I highly recommend this upgrade for all situations as it is just a much better unit that provides better voltage at low engine speeds while providing 105 amps.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

mikeceli
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: Would like a 1966-67 Toronado.

OWN: 01 Corvette, 00 Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel, 96 Impala SS, 95 Buick Roadmaster, 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, 86 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel, 83 Chrysler Cordoba and 79 "Bandit" Trans Am

Re: CS-130 Alternator Upgrade

Postby mikeceli » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:36 am

Great info, especially that you included part #'s. Thanks for posting.
God Bless America!

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: CS-130 Alternator Upgrade

Postby xgecko » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:32 am

It is a good, inexpensive and simple upgrade that significantly improves the electrical system.

You can even keep the stock look by shorting the internal contacts in the regulator.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “Power train”