Aluminum Intake Manifold from Rockwell

Anything that you can see under the hood, all underhood electrical, fuel, coolant and A/C.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Aluminum Intake Manifold from Rockwell

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 am

I just bought the aluminum intake Gary Rockwell designed for the Toronado and GMC motorhome engines. I have to say it looks really nice and is very light. It requires an Electric Choke carb, otherwise seems to be stock equivalent.

I am seriously considering using the Fuel Injection bosses he so thoughtfully included sometime next year. I will let you all know how it works out.

I highly recommend this part if you can afford it. You can purchase it through Applied GMC for about $600 or you can get it from Mondello for $700 alone or, if you buy enough in a package, they seem willing to drop $100 to match the Applied GMC price.

www.appliedgmc.com www.mondellotwister.com
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Aluminum Intake Manifold from Rockwell

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Too bad it can't use the mechanical choke... I mean, I know it shouldn't matter, and if anything would be more reliable... But I just love the idea of the orriginal choke.
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 pm

It is really not that big a deal, you just install a temp sensor in the manifold and hook it to the electric choke.

Eventually it will all go away when I convert to Fuel Injection. Seriously thinking about multi-port but not yet sure...

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:06 pm

xgecko wrote:It is really not that big a deal, you just install a temp sensor in the manifold and hook it to the electric choke.

Eventually it will all go away when I convert to Fuel Injection. Seriously thinking about multi-port but not yet sure...

Fuel injection? On first-gen toro?!? Blasphemy! :P

I know it's not a big deal, I just like the concept of a mechanical choke. Before I got my toro I had never even heaed of such a thing. All my other vehicles have electric chokes. No manual chokes thank goodness :P I just think it's cool.

Can the factory carb be converted to electric? Or does it jave to be an electric choke from the get-go?
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I have dreamed of a fuel injected distributorless Toronado since the mid 80s. Now that it is possible I just have to do it. It helps that I am of the resto-mod mindset and want a fully modernized Toronado. And nothing beats fuel injection for driveability, power and fuel economy.

All there is to the electric choke is to bolt the carb on and have a proper sensor in the manifold that will provide the signal to the choke element. I will be setting this up very soon and can give you the specifics when I get it working; I won't be able to afford the $2K for the fuel injection until next year.

As for converting the choke, I am not sure it can be done but then there are all sorts of crazy kits out there. I am simply going to buy a Summit Racing electric choke rebuilt Q-Jet and make a custom fuel line for it.

Now I will really make you cringe - I am on the lookout for a nice set of leather power seats from a late model GM with the integral shoulder belts... :shock:

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

xgecko wrote:Now I will really make you cringe - I am on the lookout for a nice set of leather power seats from a late model GM with the integral shoulder belts... :shock:

Naww, leather seats are great! And, it would be nice if my '66 had a shoulder belt... I imagine it will be very disquieting driving without it when I finally get that piece of dash-metal and can take it out on the road.

I plan on getting leather seats for my Fiero when I've got some extra change to throw around.

There was one '66 I had looked at that had some leather bucket seats from an early mustang in it. They really suited the car nicely imho. Just needed a console between 'em.
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 am

I want the seats from a late model Cadillac if I can get them. Otherwise I would be very happy with seats like in my truck with the armrest... although I am not totally certain they would look right until I get them in. Should be OK but...

I had bucket seats and a console in my first Toro. It was a 1968 W-34 with the strato-buckets... too bad it was New England in the early 80s as the car was more rust than not.

Return to “Power train”