Aluminum Heads for Olds 455

Anything that you can see under the hood, all underhood electrical, fuel, coolant and A/C.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Aluminum Heads for Olds 455

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:51 am

xgecko wrote:There really should be little if any meaningful difference between a Toro Q-jet and any other contemporary aside from tuning. There may be airflow differences in some cases, beyond that not much outside of jet sizes and such.

Sparky can probably speak volumes on the subject if this is not enough...

The big difference is in the Intake Manifold which is a very low profile design on the Toro. But I think you knew that...

Well, im sure there isnt anything sibstantially different in their design. But id kike to have the powertrain at least orriginal components... So,if there is a difference id like to know about it... Im kinda wierd...
TOA #839

ornery605
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1973 GMC Motorhome for 1 yr

Postby ornery605 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm

You might want to look for parts for the GMC Motorhome. The GMC Motorhome has the Toronado front end under it. It was made from 1973 to 1978. appliedgmc.com has and aluminun intake that I think some have used the eleldrock heads with. They also have and aluminun pan for the transmission. Don D.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:37 am

Well, folks, I got the Aluminum Heads late last week and I have to say they look awesome. Adjustable rocker studs, improved combustion chamber, no heat crossover, much lighter. I am really looking forward to installing them in a week or two once the block work is complete.

Also got the Rockwell aluminum intake from Mondello in the order and I have to say it also looks truly awesome. Much lighter than the cast iron model.

I will report back on my experience once I get the engine built and the car back on the road; current target is May or June '11.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Sounds good, let us know... If it works out well, I.might just spring for a set...
TOA #839

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed May 04, 2011 9:00 am

Hey, quick question... They have the edelbrock heads on amazon for about $800... is that each, or a pair? I might go for 'em for $800 a pair, but $1600 is rediculous.
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 am

I had the same thing happen to me. Mondello sells them for less than anyone as they were heavily involved in their development and their price is $1575 for a pair.

I saw what I think you saw only directly at Summit Racing for about $850... each. :(

Given the improvement in performance, the higher tolerance for modern gas and the weight reduction I felt it well worth the investment. I just checked with my local machine shop and they quoted me $499/head for a full rebuild including new valves and springs. Mondello charges exactly the same for a set of reman heads.

So is it worth $600 to have brand new aluminum heads? I will be finding out soon; hopefully by the end of this month if all goes well. I will have to make this decision again eventually as I will start rebuilding my 68 in a year or so; at that point I will have enough information and experience to decide whether the additional $600 was worth it. In one sense it clearly is; I intend to drive my 69 regularly during the summer and so I want many miles and years from it - amortizing $600 over 10 years is just $60/yr which is quite well worth it. Of course if the money is not there to begin with such rationalizations are of no use...

Hope that helps! :?

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 am

Just got the valve lash adjusted and hope to complete the engine this weekend... really looking forward to firing her up!

I'll let you know what I think but so far I am really happy with the Aluminum heads. 8-)

Return to “Power train”