Water Pump Question "Urgent"

Anything that you can see under the hood, all underhood electrical, fuel, coolant and A/C.
Dr. J
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Olds Toronado

Water Pump Question "Urgent"

Postby Dr. J » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:08 pm

I have a 66 Toronado. Completely rebuilt the motor and got it up and running the other day. Still working out some timing and carb issues however, the water pump went out on me the other day. I called the local auto parts stores and had one shipped in that they said would work but it was too long. I have the deluxe (AC) and I believe the original length is just barely over 5" (5.09) but the one they gave me was clearly more like 5.5" and thus the pulley was too far forward and fan too close to the radiator. I have been told there were 3 different sizes for this model however, the auto parts computers don't seem to understand this. My goal was to put it in a show this weekend so I need the correct pump ASAP but am struggling to find one or find someone who has the right one. Any help is much appreciated.

Dr. J

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Water Pump Question "Urgent"

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Rock Auto Lists a Cardone Select model for A/C equipped cars with 2" dia openings
Also list HD pump for cars w/o ac. I usually receive stuff from then in 2 or 3 days.
I've also found their tech support to be pretty helpful. I've been on a 3 way call with a rock Auto rep and a manufacturer's rep who knew the details of the parts they sold. You might get help from them on exact dimensions of their products.

Interestingly the Airtex one lists the hub height at 5.572" for a/c equipped cars. Is it possible that your car has the wrong water pump on it? I'll measure mine tomorrow.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/olds ... +pump,2208

I just replaced my pump with one from Auto Zone. They have 2 or 3 for a/c and a couple w/o ac.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating ... 0l-4bl-ohv

Advanced Auto Parts also lists a new CARQUEST unit w/ac
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carq ... ater+pumps

Save your old one. There are places that rebuild them for you or you can do it yourself in the future.

Dr. J

Postby Dr. J » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks, I will look into those. I think I will check Auto Zone as we have one in town here. If I could get someone who could actually pull out a tape measure and make sure it is the length I need, I would feel good about that. It does seem weird that I would have a shorter one that what seems to be on others with AC however, that is the one that matches up with the harmonic balancer, power steering, a/c and alternator. Anything longer than 5" puts it too far forward and belts are on a slant.

Thanks for your help. Hope I can get it done before this weekend. This was my sons goal to be in this car show with it.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 am

I have a '66 Deluxe w/o factory air. The original buyer deleted both the a/c and electric windows. :roll:

Anyway, it's a low mileage, unmolested car and the water pump I pulled off was the original factory pump.

It measures 5 1/8" from the base to the face of the mounting hub. It has a 1 3/4" outlet.

I suspect that your car may have a non a/c pump on it. Who knows what happens to a car in 50 years?

Dr. J

Postby Dr. J » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 am

Otto,

I think you are exactly right. Mine measures at 5 1/8" as well. However, it seems odd because the pulley is perfectly in line with all the other systems at this length. I went into Auto Zone and they are ordering 3 different pumps that will arrive tomorrow so I should know by then. I am half tempted to have them order in on for without A/C just to see if it might work.

Thanks again

Jon

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:54 am

What size is your water outlet? Is it 2" or 1 3/4"? I think you should have them get the non AC pump and take your old one in and compare them all side by side.

I'm very happy with my new water pump from Auto Zone. It's their house brand, Duralast. It appears to be a quality part that was made in Canada.

My car never overheated or ran hot before the original pump started leaking but with the new pump installed the needle barely gets off the first T in TEMPERATURE. It used to run around the P.

Return to “Power train”