Polyurethane front control arm bushing inserts

All parts for sale may be listed here by forum members.
Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Polyurethane front control arm bushing inserts

Postby Schurkey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:32 am

In stock: Polyurethane suspension bushing inserts for 1966--1978 Toronado and Eldorado.

MUCH more durable than rubber; firmer for better handling and precise steering. Graphite impregnated and supplied with assembly grease. MADE IN THE USA

Possible as a do-it-yourself installation; you will have to release and remove the torsion bars and remove the upper and lower control arms. Beyond that, no hydraulic press or special fixtures are required, so in that sense they're EASIER to install than rubber bushings. This is the perfect compliment to a disc-brake conversion; or just to replace rotted bushings during a steering/suspension overhaul. Most Toronados haven't had the torsion bars greased (or the control arm bushings replaced) since initial assembly 30+ years ago.

Upper (not lower) bushings were supplied in two varieties

Tell me if you have early or late style upper bushings. Supplied with installation tips. $125 including priority mail shipping in the USA.

ss@hbassociates.us

Schurkey

Re: Polyurethane front control arm bushing inserts

Postby Schurkey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 pm

I also have a complete set of control arms with new bushing inserts ready for installation. (Grease the inserts, then push 'em in with your fingers!)

Can ship with or without new ball joints installed. (Old joints already removed)

Bead blasted and ready for paint or powder coat.

Shipping will be high as they're quite heavy. Final price will depend on how you want the arms set up--with or without ball joints.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

8-) I bought these last year and installed them on my Toro. Aside from my not fully reading the directions - I strongly urge you not repeat this mistake - it was a very simple install, and Schurkey was very helpful when I was asking questions.

The results are hard to beat. The car has razor-sharp handling and drives like it is brand new. The precision of the steering is simply phenomenal.

I would suggest that if you are after the best possible handling these are a great way to go. There is a small possiblity that the standard rubber bushings reduce the precision in such a way as to make it easier to drive casually with the stock steering box - I say this because my car needs quite a bit of focus due to the numb steering that was the holy grail of steering feel in those days. The increased precision means a slight turn of the wheel results in a definite change in direction, and with the numb steering it is hard to know you turned the wheel by feel alone. Once I upgrade the steering box to provide some on-center feel and a decent amount of effort I suspect that I will be even happier. I will report back after I upgrade my steering box with my impression of it.

Overall a great way to go for the absolute maximum handling capability for these cars. Driving mine on twisties is a joy, pure and simple. It is hard to believe that such a large car can carve up the curves so well, but that is one of the many things I love so much about our cars!

Highly recommended for those that want the best handling.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:29 am

Well, actually, no. It never could have driven like this when new as the bushings were too compliant to have this sharp a level of handling.

The slightest input to the wheel changes direction very easily. I had to fiddle with the caster to increase the centering 'force' over stock in order to keep the car straight; it was so sensitive at first that if I looked away or stopped paying attention it would wander very easily with the slightest input. Increasing caster increased the center spot sufficiently to make it easy to keep straight yet still responding well to inputs.

Yes, the urethane bushings make that much difference. I will buy them for every Toronado I own. I plan to buy at least one more.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

lew
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby lew » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:40 pm

I installed a set of these in my GMC motorhome last year. These motor homes have
essentially the same drive train and suspension as the toro/eldo.

The bushings are available through energy suspension website and easy to install.

lew

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 am

Hey Schurkey, still selling these? PM me with the details, I think I want to get a set to stock for my next car. Thanks!

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:21 am

PM Sent.

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 pm

After seven + years, I must increase the price.

Bushing insert kit with Toro / Eldo alignment recommendations and installation guide = $140 shipped in the USA.

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:51 pm

---Sold Out!---

If there's enough demand, I might have another production run made. However, the price would be higher.

Return to “For Sale: Parts”