1966 Headlight Actuators/Control

Post your parts, literature, etc. requests here.
66OldsToronado
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

1966 Headlight Actuators/Control

Postby 66OldsToronado » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello, I'm looking for headlight actuators, controls, lines, linkage etc for both headlights. My father recently bought a 1966 and it has the headlights but someone has removed all of the vacuum parts needed for them to "pop open" for some reason along with linkage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: 1966 Headlight Actuators/Control

Postby xgecko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:30 am

I am not as familar with the actuator on these models but I am about to order a linear electric actuator to replace my vacuum actuator in my '69. I have the actuator from my '68 but decided to develop an electric replacement using the vacuum unit to provide a working basis. It looks like it needs about 2 3/4" travel for these.

If anyone can show me what an actuator for the 66-67 looks like and verify the travel distance as well as the overall closed size I can perhaps suggest units that might work. In my case the linear unit is a bit longer so will require a bit of a mod to install.

I just spoke with the sales dude at the supplier and he is going to put together a quote for a custom unit with the exact stroke length I need and maybe a shorter housing that might fit with minimum modification. Once I have something working I will make it available to the other members in some way.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

66OldsToronado
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby 66OldsToronado » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Well I've really tried to keep this original as possible so I wasn't really looking into electric units, but thanks for the input and help. Good luck with your project.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:55 am

I understand. I am very much on the resto-mod end of the spectrum, I want to update as much as possible to produce the best driver I can build. It is all a matter of taste. Good luck to you too and I sure hope it comes out better than you expect! 8-)
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “Wanted: Parts and Misc”