Wanted: someone who has, or can fabricate a piece of metal

Post your parts, literature, etc. requests here.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Re: Wanted: someone who has, or can fabricate a piece of met

Postby bluecab » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi,
the template looks good! I think it might be easier to take the part off the car to repair it. Brazing or welding galvanized metal is no good because it gives off nasty chemicals and I think the galvanize will interfere with the welding process. I don't know how easy it is to get a Toronado windshield, but this seems like a repair you will only want to do once.
As for adhesives, how would you clamp the patch panel to the car? is there an opening for clamps?
Will the repair be visible after the dash cover goes back on?
I'm thinking galvanized sheet, pop rivets and structural epoxy...
David

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:45 pm

bluecab wrote:Hi,
the template looks good! I think it might be easier to take the part off the car to repair it. Brazing or welding galvanized metal is no good because it gives off nasty chemicals and I think the galvanize will interfere with the welding process. I don't know how easy it is to get a Toronado windshield, but this seems like a repair you will only want to do once.
As for adhesives, how would you clamp the patch panel to the car? is there an opening for clamps?
Will the repair be visible after the dash cover goes back on?
I'm thinking galvanized sheet, pop rivets and structural epoxy...
David

Hehe, that was my thought as well. Pop rivets and glue :P

Welding galvenized metal does give off some nasty fumes. But I'd be doing it outside in the open air. Plus, I have chemical respirators. To the best of my understanding, welding galvenized steel isn't difficult...

Windshields are readily available oddly. Should only cost me about $150 for the glass, and another $50-$100 to have it installed... plus my rear window re-installed. I have the glass, and the surface is prepped. Just need it put back on. Only down side is, I need to drive it to the glass place XD

I don't believe the part will come out of the car. It was spot welded on the front half of the gap, and I suspect it is welded in the dash somewhere as well. As for clamps, rivets, and weight will do if I put it ontop. If I put it beneath, I can secure the top lip, and then the bottom.

There is no cover on it, It's just textured-painted metal. The patch will not be visible from inside the car, as it's just on the slope. It might be visible through the glass, but a little bit of black paint and it really won't matter.

And, in a few years, I plan on stripping the entire car to the frame, so if the repair doesn't hold up, I can always weld in a piece at that point! :D And, at that time, I'll have better tools, and a bigger garage. And more money. (THe three things I'll need to have before I strip it :P)
TOA #839

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 am

And, here's my status so far!

I'm going to be adding 14 strips of 1/8" steel across the gap. They are just thick enough to rest on the firewall, and press it against the remnants of metal. I'll patch-panel adhesive them into place, then after they cure, I'll glue the 22ga. finished metal ontop of all of them, and rivot along the bottom edge.

Hopefully the rivets won't interfere with the glass... they're just pop-rivets... Also, I think putting them on the bottom edge will make them below where the glass will end. As the little tables that the windshield should rest on stick up higher than the leading-edge, by a greater width than the head of a rivet.

Then, I will grind the edges evenly, and POR-15 the heck out of everything. The firewall, and all the metal that won't be a glued surface is already POR-15'ed.

TOA #839

Return to “Wanted: Parts and Misc”