66-68 Toro Speed Control Dash Units

Post your parts, literature, etc. requests here.
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

66-68 Toro Speed Control Dash Units

Postby Doc Hubler » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm looking for the dial unit that attaches to the dash. Specifically, I need the plastic ratchet that connects to the speed control cable and moves it on the cruise control unit mounted in engine bay. Mine broke (it is a small plastic piece that connects to the metal cable and moves back and forth as dial is moved). I may try to recast these if I can get a good example or two. Probably a frequent reason for inoperable units as the old plastic crumbles and the cable no longer operates properly.

Checkov
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 66-68 Toro Speed Control Dash Units

Postby Checkov » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:59 am

I'm not sure if my parts car has cruise control. :mrgreen:

We just had an 11 c.m. Snow and some of my spares are covered. Plus I can only get in my parts car through the back window and there is a lot of snow there.

I did take a few more pics. 1 through the window but I can't see any cruise setting devices. The other is just a better pic of the side of my engine bay that has the AC stuff.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 16238 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 16238 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 16238 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Checkov:

Here are the cruise control units. I can't tell anything from the dash pictures. Regulator itself is mounted on rear driver side of engine, somewhat next to master cylinder. Look for the dash on any 66-70 toro for the dial (functional dial -- they put fakes on the ones without cruise) next to steering column, left side, and below that, the switch with button in the center, always located next to steering column.

Pictures include here for what to look for. Beyond that, I am always looking for other parts and I see a wiper/washer motor. Depending on what you want for it, I might like to get that. 3 bolts to firewall and you have to loosen the nut to the wiper control rod.

40370-500-0.jpg
40370-500-0.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

toro1966instrumentpanel.jpg
toro1966instrumentpanel.jpg (199.34 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 pm

I will want the dial portion out of the dash, which will be a chore to get out unless you can open the door and get the dash loose. Not a job for doing when the weather is freezing cold. Chances are you don't have that on your car. There doesn't seem to be a power servo and the heater box looks different somehow. I'd be interested in the power servo unit if there was one. I'll see if I can find a picture of the AC tubing piece I need.

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Comfortron.

If your parts car is equipped with comfortron, there may be some useful parts. How do you tell? Look at the top center of dash for the small grill. Only cars equipped with Comfortron have this. THere is a temperature sensor located behind the grill. Also, on the dash, next to the cruise control dial is a unit that has a couple of slider switches and the dial for temperature (like the Cruise control dial). If this unit has pushbuttons, you can also tell it is not a Comfortron unit.

0806_02_z+1966-1967_oldsmobile_toronado+interior_view.jpg
0806_02_z+1966-1967_oldsmobile_toronado+interior_view.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

Here's another picture I found of the cruise control switch -- dial is above.

66-Olds-Toronado-DV_10-RMH-i02.jpg
66-Olds-Toronado-DV_10-RMH-i02.jpg (154.76 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Here is the power servo located in top center of picture near firewall and wiper washer unit. Pretty sure you car doesn't have this or it's removed. The tubing I'm looking for is in the other area circled. it is the smaller tube. I see that in your picture, but it seems to be different. Might be because your car has a different setup (mine is comfortron). I'm interested in the carb and air cleaner for the right price.

1966-oldsmobile-toronado-425-engine.jpg
1966-oldsmobile-toronado-425-engine.jpg (176.75 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Here is another picture closeup of the Comfortron unit. One slider switch and the dial that sets the temperature. There is actually a vacuum thermostatic valve on this unit inside the car important for operation.

In reviewing pictures, I think the the small aluminum tube on your AC unit is actually the part I need. If you can remove it that would be great.

toro1966comfortcontrol.jpg
toro1966comfortcontrol.jpg (27.59 KiB) Viewed 16233 times

Checkov

Postby Checkov » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:35 pm

I can get to the following parts fairly quickly:
Carb
Dual snorkel air cleaner
The aluminum AC piece
Windshield wiper/washer unit

I need to check my windshield wiper unit on my project car to see if its OK before I would sell it.

It will probably be a while before I get to the inside parts, I doubt if I will sell parts off of the console unless I can't sell it to anyone as a whole ( like the speedometer dial).

Where the cruise control switch should be located there is a hole, so I'm thinking it had the cruise system at one time but it was removed, not sure if their are other parts from it left over.

I will get back with you once I check the wiper motor.

Thanks, Alex

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Alex,

Thanks, you can send me a PM with what you think you want for these items. Let me know where you're located also, have to figure shipping. That' get's real pricey these days. When you can get to things without freezing your butt off, it will be interesting to see if the dial is there. The one piece I need asap is the dial and the A/C tubing.

Checkov

Postby Checkov » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:24 am

Hello Doc,

I am in need of a little knowledge before proceeding further. I went out to remove the wiper motor ( mine seems to work fine on my project car so I'm ok to sell this one) and removed the 3 bolts easily. That's as far as I got without resorting to plan number two which is the sawsall and a BFH:

You mention a nut attached to the control arm--- how do I get to that? I'm assuming I have to take the top sheet metal piece off. But to do that I have to remove the two wiper arms which are decent on this car so I'm afraid to use a crow bar or something which when prying will damage the chrome metal. I can't see any kind of bolt or latch.
Should I just cut the metal behind each arm? ( and then remove the sheet metal piece)
Or is there a trick to getting to the nut you mentioned connecting the wiper control arm to motor?

On the aluminum AC part. I didn't even attempt removing that because I imagine that metal is easily damaged:

Is that Al tube part of the apparatus as a whole or does it disconnect?
Do I need to take the plastic shroud off that the Al tube goes into?
Do you want just the Al piece or the whole unit?
Are there any tricks to removing the Al a.c. Tube.

I'm going in to town today to help my daughter work. ( why do parents get elected to help automatically--- is there a clause I missed when I had kids?) hopefully I will be able to try again tomorrow, Sunday.

Thanks, alex

Return to “Wanted: Parts and Misc”