70, 67, or 66 Toronado wanted

Post your wants and desires for any Toronado.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 70, 67, or 66 Toronado wanted

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Supposedly this one sold through Hemmings for $47K after being listed for $55K and having a $100K+ restoration. It didn't even have AC!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car ... refer=blog

sdownie
Years Owned: n/a

Postby sdownie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Nice pics! You did get a great deal!

How could anybody spend $100k on a restoration? Solid-gold engine block? Somebody -- seller or buyer -- must have had some very sentimental issues.

Thanks!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:48 pm

It was quite impressive to look at. Every nut and bolt was redone like new. Still, $50K is way out of the range for these cars, I think

sdownie

Postby sdownie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks! I just called. He's going to send more pictures.

It seems fundamentally sound but it needs minor work here and there.

He started it up for me and it sounds like a Toronado. :-) There's an exhaust manifold leak so it sounds a bit meaner than stock.

The interior apparently needs work. He started on re-upholstering but didn't quite finish. Also, the weatherstripping throughout needs to be replaced.

As you can tell in the one existing Hemmings pic, it has been repainted. He had the rust repaired at that time (a few years ago). Apparently there's still some surface rust inside the uncarpeted trunk.

So, at the moment, there are a number of "little" things, but nothing major. His wife will send me more pics later on.

We'll see.

Thanks again!

sdownie

Postby sdownie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks, Russ! I'm going to hold out for $10k (or less) for a driver for a while longer.

This NC car has had the rust repair done (so says the owner). He didn't finish up cleaning the inside of the trunk. As you can see in the one picture, they painted on the "chrome" when they repainted the car, but he still has the original chrome pieces.

The "custom" interior he was working on concerns me the most. If it is just crazy, that's not a deal breaker. But it certainly lowers the price.
:-)

I'm looking for a driver too. If I have to "customize," I would. But a driver has to be priced like a driver!

Thanks again!

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:29 am

All of the original interior fabrics and vinyl are available from SMS in Oregon. No need to customize an interior unless that's your schtick.

I avoid cars that have become other people's failed or half finished projects. You never know what has been done, who did it or what level of care or quality was put into it.

Also, who knows if you'll get all the right parts in a box if they aren't on the car.

My '56 Cadillac had never been restored. The engine compartment and interior were untouched since new. It had been repainted in the 90s but that was all.

The Toro had been painted once since new but the interior and engine bay are as original - excepting hoses, fuel pump, etc.

If you can find a car that's mostly original or one that has just been R&R'd as needed over the years you will be much happier. Trying to unravel or complete someone else's project car is a royal pain in the neck.

sdownie

Postby sdownie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Russ,

[Edit] I found it on Craigslist. That's the right price, although that's my least favorite color combination - black interior and white interior - of any I've seen.

It's a pain when they don't do email. I'm so picky! :-)

Otto,

I agree. The NC 66 had apparently been one fellow's project 12 years ago. Then the current owner bought it and apparently "project"ed it even more. :-)

Of course, there's this other NC car that has the ultra-rare Olds hood scoop:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Actually, the hood-scoop Toro does have disc brakes. But as I recall, the Toro's factory wheels were offset for a reason. I would think that the wheels this "custom" 67 has on it would destroy the CV joints in short order?

Thanks all!

Scott

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes, that one with the hood scoop and the wrong wheels is best left alone unless you're into other people's hot rods.

Unless those wheels were custom made, they won't have the correct offset - which is considerable on the Toro and Eldo. You will damage the wheel bearings and possibly break a spindle driving it like that.

There is a complete thread on wheels here with the correct specs listed.

sdownie

Postby sdownie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:19 am

Crap! I saw those coming up on Mecham, but I figured the bidding would be too rich for my blood.

On the other hand, I guess that's good news for those of us on the prowl.

Thanks!

sdownie

Postby sdownie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:25 am

Will do!

Thanks!

Return to “Wanted: Toronado”