Fuel Tank

Post your wants and desires for any Toronado.
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Fuel Tank

Postby Doc Hubler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:15 pm

I want to replace my fuel tank for my 1967 Toronado. The tank is fine, not leaking, but someone in the past had tried to jack the car up using the tank as a pressure point, so it is bent, and bent too badly to fix properly. Since everything else is being done on the car, this will stand out like a sore point should the car ever get judged for restoration. If anyone has suggestions, that would be helpful. I've considered if I think I could "re-skin" the bottom part of the tank by putting a skin over the dents to cover up those areas. Here are some pictures:
Attachments
fuel tank 2.jpg
fuel tank 2.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
fuel tank bottom side..jpg
fuel tank bottom side..jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 11054 times

bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Re: Fuel Tank

Postby bluecab » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I think one of the "Tank re-nu" companies cuts them open to fix them and could likely fix the dents in the process.
I need a tank as mine weeps, I looked at other full size applications as there does not seem to be a repro on the market. Most of them are close, but the fuel fill is always different.
Check the other E-body cars, Eldo & Riv. Maybe there is something out there that I did not find.
Would like to hear if you find anything!

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I think Gas Tank Renu is all I've found as well. I have to call them to find out what the damage will be. Probably going to cost way more than what I really wanted to spend. The Toro restoration process is like this: get a big wheelbarrow, and keep filling it with cash until the project is done. You'll have to keep going back many times before you get there. I've now gone ahead to replace every suspension piece of rubber, and all the seals and bearing, and ball joints. Don't want to ever go back there again once it's done! Getting close to all major components being done, but it's the drowning in the details on everything else that's just killing me now. And the chrome man cometh!

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 pm

How about cleaning off the exterior and using a stud welder to pull out the dents? if you are careful you will not make any holes...

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Check with Auto City Classic. They have a large selection of new gas tanks for antique cars.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=61

If I were you, I'd call some of those guys on ebay parting out Toros and see if you can get a good used one.

Buy the sloshing compound from Eastwood and coat the inside. Media blast the exterior and paint it.

Return to “Wanted: Toronado”