We need a specific forum for problem vendors

Let us know what you would like to see in the forum. All suggestions and comments welcome.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

We need a specific forum for problem vendors

Postby xgecko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

I had a major issue with Kanter where they will not honor the Web Site offer for free shipping because I placed a phone order. The site says nothing about requiring the order to be placed on the web, so I wanted my shipping refunded. They refused. Long story short, they advertised free shipping and did not honor it. I think this is a bad thing and that forum member should be made aware of this so when they order from Kanter they know what kind of company they are ordering from.

I am sure others have had similar experiences; Mondello comes to mind as frequently being a target of concern - although I had a good experience with them so far, that may change in the future but at least I am aware of it due to comments I saw on forums.

I think it pays to have a specific section/topic for Vendor critique. I think both good and bad experiences are things we should post here. It can go under any of the appropriate sections, although your new Parts section might be best.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

tadmin
Site Admin

Re: We need a specific forum for problem vendors

Postby tadmin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 am

xgecko wrote:I had a major issue with Kanter where they will not honor the Web Site offer for free shipping because I placed a phone order. The site says nothing about requiring the order to be placed on the web, so I wanted my shipping refunded. They refused. Long story short, they advertised free shipping and did not honor it. I think this is a bad thing and that forum member should be made aware of this so when they order from Kanter they know what kind of company they are ordering from.

I am sure others have had similar experiences; Mondello comes to mind as frequently being a target of concern - although I had a good experience with them so far, that may change in the future but at least I am aware of it due to comments I saw on forums.

I think it pays to have a specific section/topic for Vendor critique. I think both good and bad experiences are things we should post here. It can go under any of the appropriate sections, although your new Parts section might be best.

I don't know if we need a specific problem vendors forum. I think just posting your experience in the Parts forums should be enough. Rather than separating things, which would make it more convoluted and difficult for folks to find the information, it's better to keep parts and vendor reviews in the same place.. Any other opinions?

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

Update: Now we get the flip side of this... I had filed a dispute with my Credit Card company and with my AG both of whom agreed I had a strong case. Lucky for Kanter they figured this out; Kevin went to someone above him (probably the owners but I do not know) and they took care of the problem in a way that leaves me quite satisfied. This means that while they were a bit resistant in the beginning they did end up taking care of me.

The one thing I would caution here is that their free shipping offer is for web only even though it does not state this so be aware that if you call in an order it will include shipping. I personally think that they should make this clear on the web site but they seem to feel it is unnessesary - they may not realize this leaves them open to a solid dispute but that is their issue, not mine.

In the end they took care of me and that is what matters. I do recommend them as long as you are aware of the shipping issue.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

As for why I mentioned the specific topic, it is hard to find these kinds of things and I feel that having them in one place is best so we can see all vendor experience messages in one place. I will be glad to post my experience in a place of your suggestion, but I feel that having a specific sub topic under, say, the Parts thing where we have the generations listed would be good.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am

OK, I am cool with putting these messages directly in the Parts Information topic; it will work as a Vendor Experience zone. I put my Kanter experience in there and it seems like it is a good place for these kinds of things.

tadmin
Site Admin

Postby tadmin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 pm

xgecko wrote:OK, I am cool with putting these messages directly in the Parts Information topic; it will work as a Vendor Experience zone. I put my Kanter experience in there and it seems like it is a good place for these kinds of things.

It's great your persistance paid off! Great job! I think it is best to keep all experiences in the same place, so thanks for taking care of the thread related to Kanter.

Mike

Hasty
TOA Membership Number: 765
Years Owned: 1970 Toronado GT

Postby Hasty » Sun May 15, 2011 1:08 am

xgecko wrote:The one thing I would caution here is that their free shipping offer is for web only even though it does not state this so be aware that if you call in an order it will include shipping.

I just checked the site, and the banner now says "Web orders only". They must have taken your advice and updated it. :)
St. Cloud, MN
1970 Toronado GT
TOA #765

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Comments”