1968 TORONADO FROM ARGENTINA

Post your links to Toronado-related information from around the web.
Fabio Herrero
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: 1968 TORONADO FROM ARGENTINA

Postby Fabio Herrero » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 am

toro_mike wrote:Yo soy muy contento para ver el emblema del cohete en la dirección correcta. Ha, ha!

¡Su coche es muy bonito! ¡Lo amo mucho! Lo siento mi español es malo!

Muchas gracias, su español es muy claro.

Thank you very much, your Spanish is very clear.

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:27 am

69W34 wrote:Though I can't speak to where Island Teal Metallic originated the Ditzler color chart for Olds refers to it as simply 'Teal Metallic' -F- and 2 is Black top

Ok, that I learned thanks to you.

Chazzer
TOA Membership Number: 146
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Postby Chazzer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:47 pm

FYI
Attachments
cil.jpg
cil.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 29112 times
dupont.jpg
dupont.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 29112 times
dupont1.jpg
dupont1.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 29112 times
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

Chazzer
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Postby Chazzer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 pm

More FYI this time SW...that's three reference points.
Attachments
swr.jpg
swr.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 29111 times
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Excellent information, thank you very much Jim

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Folks having pored over this a bit here is some additional info to aid clarification:
The four color references all seem to originate from Canada. It was /is not unusual to find enumerable differences from domestic (US) auto makers of produces destine to foreign markets as well as differences within corporation particularity Canada was literally across the river with its own GM manufacturing facilities, most countries did not have that ability particularly at that time. At this point mostly had to do with identity or pride for Canada (check out the Canadian Beaumont as an example) clearly a Chevelle ‘A’ body but with various changes and usages of other divisional parts it was their car and different that ours … but I digress.

Looking at these colors references they indicate the same Island Teal, one even states Canada and US production, these however are or seem to be Canadian publications. It is though the code that distinguishes the color not the name, 67-68 colors are distinguished letters, 69's changes to numbers, in addition the dual letters are really not correct as a code if you a 'hard top' the cowl plate will show TT - XX - ZZ pick one, the double letter or numbers indicate body and top. Should your car have Vinyl top then it will read S 1 --- C 2 or what have you, indicating body color and vinyl top color, again in 69 the color codes changed to numbers hence 23 23 or 23 H

I have enclosed a 68 US Ditzler PPG color chart note the differences the US -v- Canadian charts names one can clearly see -F- as Teal Frost as opposed to Island Teal from up north, -T- Palomino Ivory as opposed to Ivory in the US and lastly Burnished Saddle Metallic -v- Cinnamon Bronze in the US. There is certainly no right or wrong to any of this but simply a view through different lenses.

Note the other names that are different as well.

Hope this all helps
Attachments
ditzler.jpg
ditzler.jpg (146.9 KiB) Viewed 29105 times
Bill
TOA #1

Chazzer

Postby Chazzer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't believe the information as stated has anything to do with Canadian publications vs US publications. I think the difference in colour names is best explained as I tried to articulate about a year ago in this very thread. I also supplied a link to the very chart you just posted.

My post from a year go states:

'The confusion lies in the fact GM offered the same colour formula across all the divisions. This same colour hue could be called slightly different names across any given division. So the Island Teal could perhaps be a Chevrolet term to describe the same Oldsmobile colour as Frost Teal. However code F for 1968 is the exact same colour across all divisions that offered it in 68. GM also used “WA” numbers back then to document and still do today. They didn’t usually publish the WA numbers back then though and I cannot locate the WA for 1968 code F, but I can tell you that my 68 Olds Toro is code K with a WA3761 as a “WA”.

If you compare this PPG paint chart for 68 Chev, you will notice code F as Island Teal. Take notice how this Chev code F and the Olds code F use the same PPG mix number. This is the number one would use to mix the colour. They are same colour…just the name is slightly changed for the marketing departments of each division."

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... t-pg01.jpg

To further expand on the explanation I was giving please visit this page....

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail ... and%20Teal
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Thank You, for provided support to my point with colors, yes -F- is same color the regardless of the division, the naming of given color is left up to the individual division.

My initial post stated "Though I can't speak to where Island Teal Metallic (name only) originated" all of the items presented: i.e. C-I-L (Canadian Industries Limited) Color Advisory Service, Dupont Canada General Motors Corp. 1967 - 1969 color chart, S-W (not sure what that is) seemed to making a point or taking issue with the statement “the Ditzler color chart for Olds refers to it as simply 'Teal Frost' - F - and 2 is Black top” since it’s was an export unit, an Oldsmobile made in Lansing and nowhere else, given that is an -F- kind of makes it Teal Frost, Yes!

That said export units could be found adorned with an number of non US items depending on its final market destination.
Bill
TOA #1

Chazzer

Postby Chazzer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Well Bill...Colour me confused with the point you are trying to make.

The way I understand it is: Our man Fabio was inquiring about his colour on his 68....code "F". I did a quick glance at three publications I have in my office and all three called the colour Island Teal Metallic. The reference books used were two Canadian based and the other a very large US manufacture of Automotive Coatings known as Sherwin-Williams or SW for short.

When Fabio called into question the accuracy of the information due to the name of the colour. I did another search and found that for 68, Chevrolet called the colour Island Teal Metallic and Oldsmobile referred to the colour due to as Frost Teal. I assured him the colour hue was the same and the name was different due to marketing among the GM divisions.

I also supplied a link to both the Chevrolet PPG chart and the Oldsmobile chart to help satisfy his concerns with the information. It's all right there in the threads.

So when you state "Though I can't speak to where Island Teal Metallic originated". I'm somewhat baffled because I had explained in a post that it was the Chevrolet term.

I then thought it prudent to supply the source publication info.

I would think that this would satisfy you as a reliable source supporting the past info given. You know...one Toro lover supplying his sources to support another. You then implied it was Canadian and that it was not perhaps accurate. Although the SW is US and not Canadian. No doubt the reason all these publications refer to the colour as Island Teal Metallic, is because all GM divisions that used it had their own name for said colour, and for consolidation purposes the Colour manual proprietors decided to use the information from GMs largest selling division as the colour reference name.

So yes you are correct the 68 term for Oldsmobile code F is Frost Teal....but I thought we had concluded that a year ago....
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:58 pm

I update with some photos yesterday after washing.

Return to “Links”