1968 TORONADO FROM ARGENTINA

Post your links to Toronado-related information from around the web.
Fabio Herrero
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: 1968 TORONADO FROM ARGENTINA

Postby Fabio Herrero » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Chazzer wrote:1968 General Motors paint code "F" is Island Teal Metallic. 68 only colour from what I gather.

Thanks for your reply.

The following catalog of colors does not appear that color.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... e-pg01.jpg

Named TEAL FROST appear in the catalog, but I have doubts.

Someone else can tell me if Chazzer this right?

Regards

Gracias por su respuesta.

En el siguiente catalogo de colores no figura ese color.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... e-pg01.jpg

Parecería denominarse TEAL FROST en el catalogo, pero tengo dudas al respecto.

Alguien mas puede decirme si Chazzer esta en lo cierto?

regards

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Postby Eightballz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

wow..nice and clean car...thanks for sharing...

as for the export thing...i was asking how anyone can tell if a car was designed for export or not. for the 1970 toronados the assembly manual claims that there are low compression engines put in those export cars...so since i bought the car in europe it was important for me to know if i have one of these cars.

it also claims that there were no low compression W34 cars...

the only way you can tell for sure its a low compression engine is to either pull the heads or look through the spark plug hole if you have larger bowls on the pistons...larger bowls mean lower compression

Chazzer
TOA Membership Number: 146
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Postby Chazzer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Fabio,
30 years in the Auto body industry. I can assure you……I’m right! Lol

The confusion lies in the fact GM offered the same colour formula across all the divisions. This same colour hue could be called slightly different names across any given division. So the Island Teal could perhaps be a Chevrolet term to describe the same Oldsmobile colour as Frost Teal. However code F for 1968 is the exact same colour across all divisions that offered it in 68. GM also used “WA” numbers back then to document and still do today. They didn’t usually publish the WA numbers back then though and I cannot locate the WA for 1968 code F, but I can tell you that my 68 Olds Toro is code K with a WA3761 as a “WA”.

If you compare this PPG paint chart for 68 Chev, you will notice code F as Island Teal. Take notice how this Chev code F and the Olds code F use the same PPG mix number. This is the number one would use to mix the colour. They are same colour…just the name is slightly changed for the marketing departments of each division.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... t-pg01.jpg
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Well, this is very interesting! There is a 68 Toro where I live and it has the bucket seats (the 090 Trim code) and the center console shift. I'm not sure that it was stock, but now I think it is, because it looks exactly the same. It is also the F2 code (Teal with black vinyl top). I'm going to look over your pictures a little more closely and see if I can figure anything else out about the 68.

Tim

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:00 am

Eightballz wrote:wow..nice and clean car...thanks for sharing...

as for the export thing...i was asking how anyone can tell if a car was designed for export or not. for the 1970 toronados the assembly manual claims that there are low compression engines put in those export cars...so since i bought the car in europe it was important for me to know if i have one of these cars.

it also claims that there were no low compression W34 cars...

the only way you can tell for sure its a low compression engine is to either pull the heads or look through the spark plug hole if you have larger bowls on the pistons...larger bowls mean lower compression

thanks Eightballz

Truth is not whether my 68 Toronado is low compression.

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:03 am

Chazzer wrote:Fabio,
30 years in the Auto body industry. I can assure you……I’m right! Lol

The confusion lies in the fact GM offered the same colour formula across all the divisions. This same colour hue could be called slightly different names across any given division. So the Island Teal could perhaps be a Chevrolet term to describe the same Oldsmobile colour as Frost Teal. However code F for 1968 is the exact same colour across all divisions that offered it in 68. GM also used “WA” numbers back then to document and still do today. They didn’t usually publish the WA numbers back then though and I cannot locate the WA for 1968 code F, but I can tell you that my 68 Olds Toro is code K with a WA3761 as a “WA”.

If you compare this PPG paint chart for 68 Chev, you will notice code F as Island Teal. Take notice how this Chev code F and the Olds code F use the same PPG mix number. This is the number one would use to mix the colour. They are same colour…just the name is slightly changed for the marketing departments of each division.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... t-pg01.jpg

Chazzer

More clear .. High clarity

Thank you very much for teaching me about it.
It is the same color with different names according to GM division.

Greetings and Happy Holidays

Fabio Herrero

Postby Fabio Herrero » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 am

Doc Hubler wrote:Well, this is very interesting! There is a 68 Toro where I live and it has the bucket seats (the 090 Trim code) and the center console shift. I'm not sure that it was stock, but now I think it is, because it looks exactly the same. It is also the F2 code (Teal with black vinyl top). I'm going to look over your pictures a little more closely and see if I can figure anything else out about the 68.

Tim

Hello TIM

Must be a Toro like mine, same color, optional, and year. See if you subtract speedometer in KM / h ... jej

Regards

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Yo soy muy contento para ver el emblema del cohete en la dirección correcta. Ha, ha!

¡Su coche es muy bonito! ¡Lo amo mucho! Lo siento mi español es malo!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Though I can't speak to where Island Teal Metallic originated the Ditzler color chart for Olds refers to it as simply 'Teal Metallic' -F- and 2 is Black top

The interesting part is that it is not carrying a standard 68 Toronado body /cowl plate this particular plate was last used on the 65's (and if memory serves) the last year that the paint was described as Magic Mirror paint as it does at the bottom.
Bill
TOA #1

Return to “Links”