Newbie with a 67 Toro

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Trailrunner
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: !967 Toronado

Re: Newbie with a 67 Toro

Postby Trailrunner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm

toro2 012.JPG
toro2 012.JPG (116.2 KiB) Viewed 13766 times

toro2 013.JPG
toro2 013.JPG (162.43 KiB) Viewed 13766 times

Trailrunner

Postby Trailrunner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 pm

toro2 014.JPG
toro2 014.JPG (162.55 KiB) Viewed 13766 times

toro2 015.JPG
toro2 015.JPG (168.26 KiB) Viewed 13766 times

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Ross,

Interesting, and thanks for the pics. Its seems that your car has two rare options on it. It has the Comfortron Auto Climate Control system, and it has speed control. There probably may be little problems with those, all involving vacuum and/or some mechanical connections. And thanks for sending your Body Tag info. Your car has quite a few options as shown by the tag as there are up to 5 option groups. I will send you some more info when I have a chance. A couple of other things: Does the car have the rear defroster (switch opposite speed control; fan on package tray)? What radio does your car have? Does your car have a clock? It is in the top right corner of the dash, but that seems to be a different instrument of some kind. I saw a few things like the dreaded solderless connectors, which means electrical problems! Also, it seems to me that the car was reupholstered and it is not done in a stock Toro style. For example, there should be a Toronado script on the doors. The Comfortron has 3 sensors; you can see one of them when you open the hood, and look at the cowl on the passenger side. The second one is in the center of the dash, right below the air vent (the little blue grille), and the third is located at the bottom of the center dash, in the air duct. If your system works (don't think it does), you are lucky! I don't think these are too complicated as I think I've just about got it figured out how they work, but if it's your first time looking at this, it may seem a little bit much. Your dash looks pretty good, usually the black crinkle paint is peeling off and your green turn signal indicators probably are burned through like most. Getting the dash apart and fixing this stuff is a chore and only to do if think are working or you are really going to do a resto on that car to that level. I see some other knob at the bottom of dash, what is that for? Does your car have the vacuum trunk release in the glovebox?

Cheers!
Tim

Trailrunner

Postby Trailrunner » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

Tim - You are very helpful - wish you lived closer! Well, the closer I look the more discouraged I am. You're right...the door panels and seats appear to be incorrect. Can you tell if the seats would be correct if they were covered correctly? Perhaps I should send the door panels off to be redone in the coorect color and pattern. It is supposed to be the 083 Bimini Blue interior. I found a picture online of the correct door panel...

67Olds048[1].jpg
67Olds048[1].jpg (101.94 KiB) Viewed 13757 times

Trailrunner

Postby Trailrunner » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 am

I don't have the rear window defogger. I haven't checked yet to see what the silly knob under the dash is for. Also, on the lower right side of the dash someone put in a toggle switch - not sure what that is for either. I opened the glove compartment and pressed a button and the trunk opened! Hissed a little before opening so I'm guessing a vacuum leak there. The scripts for the correct door panels were in the glove also along with a black metal part unfamiliar to me. See picture...

toroscripts 001.JPG
toroscripts 001.JPG (123.31 KiB) Viewed 13757 times

Thanks again.

Ross

Trailrunner

Postby Trailrunner » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 am

P.S. The previous owner deleted the clock and added a tach. I found a clock on the Classicoldsmobile forum. It's on my dining room table. Gonna see if I can get it to run.

Ross

Trailrunner

Postby Trailrunner » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Also - You asked about the radio...it has the original wonderbar and it works.

Ross

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Ross,

Don't get discouraged! At least you have some of the parts still available! The black metal piece is a cover on the steering column; it will snap back into place. I take it that you have tilt/telescope steering wheel, and your car has cornering lamps which are very nice. Mine had stopped working and there is a brown wire on those that always gets worn and then shorts I think. I replaced the harness. think you can get the correct one from Shee-Mar (Colorado). That's kind of a bitch to replace.

You found the scripts for your door and you know what would be correct from other pictures. if the windows and doors work ok, you're fine until you decide you want to correct the appearance. Usually, the wiring to the doors get worn and broken and you will see that people use solderless connectors to fix them. The rubber tube that they go through will be split and you can see that when you open the door. Again, if it's working, you're in luck (at least until the connectors give way or there's too much corrosion/resistance).

The trunk release will always make a little sound, and the good news is that it works; that means you don't have a total leakage of vacuum, so that's good also.

I have my carb in to Greg (Sparky's ) also, and I talked with him the other day. Mines a little ahead of yours and he probably will have mine next month. You have the Wonderbar Radio, which is great; probably that was original equipment. Mine just had the AM radio, but had the factory 8 Track tape player. I have found and had a Wonderbar restored and am instaling it. 8 Track is fixed and ready for installation. I have a spare if you are interested in that. In terms of your clock, it might work fine. If the tach is in there it almost certainly means someone took that dash apart to get to it; I don't think I've heard of one from the factory that way. I had my clock converted to quartz movement and I hope I won't have to get back there ever again to do anything with it except maybe replace the light bulb. All in all, you see to have a pretty nice car, so enjoy it with minimal additional work on it, and if you want to restore, you can do much of it piecemeal instead of the entire think at once. There is truth to the old saying that it's all downhill after you take out the first bolt..... I will check your body tag codes against mine; will be an interesting comparison.

Return to “Introductions”