1984 Toronado / Original Owner...

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
pfloro
TOA Membership Number: 0

1984 Toronado / Original Owner...

Postby pfloro » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Hello Everyone:

SO glad this new forum has arrived...!

Some might be thinking: "But it's so new..." Yes, it's only 25 years old but I'm the original owner & it has been my daily driver for all this time.

The Queen Mary spent the first 20 years in NJ & did succumb to some rust. But the frame was sound & the body rust was confined to the bottom areas. The vinyl landau roof is new as is the headliner & carpet. The leather seating surfaces & all interior vinyl is original.

The Olds 307 V8 has not been rebuilt. Except for a timing chain & gearset (now double roller) installed @ 153,000 miles, the engine internals have not been touched. The 325-4L Hydramatic has been rebuilt twice, first @ 77,000 due to a burnt intermediate band and again @ 175,000 due to worn sprocket bearings & drive chain. The shift kit installed during the first rebuild has kept the shifts crisp but not harsh for over 100,000 miles...

The Queen Mary was an ordered car and I opted for several less frequently ordered options: Astroroof, 2 position memory driver seat and Delco Bose stereo. These options continue to provide enjoyable motoring. Although I have replaced the original Delco Bose cassette radio with a unit which plays CDs, I have kept the original radio.

Over the years, I have done most of the maintenance myself. The factory shop manuals have probably been read cover to cover. I am grateful for the fine mechanics and body/paint people who have done the work which was beyond my abilities...

I plan to keep this car for many more years & drive it on a regular basis. The Queen Mary is even more special since Oldsmobile is no more and GM has gone through so much upheaval. Although not a first generation Toronado, the front drive underpinnings are very similiar. The great heritage of American automobile engineering is quite evident.

I look forward to helping others who own '79 -'85 'Third Generation' Toronados.

Happy Motoring,

Paul
Attachments
The Restored Queen Mary 30a.jpg
The Restored Queen Mary 30a.jpg (108.28 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
The Restored Queen Mary 50a.jpg
The Restored Queen Mary 50a.jpg (188.33 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
The Restored Queen Mary 01a.jpg
1984 Toronado Brougham
The Restored Queen Mary 01a.jpg (142.29 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Paul E. Floro
1984 Olds Toronado / Original Owner

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: 1984 Toronado / Original Owner...

Postby janeg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:55 am

Well that is indeed a beautiful car. Thanks for posting the pics!
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: 1984 Toronado / Original Owner...

Postby toro_mike » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 am

I don't care that it's "only" 25! It's an excellent and beautiful car! Well done! Hopefully we can get more later generations aboard so they survive for future generations when they are "considered" old! Thanks for posting the pics!

Mike
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Return to “Introductions”