79 Toro Owners?

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Mike Murphy
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 84 Pontiac Fiero Indianapolis Pace Car
88 Pontiac Fiero GT with Factory T-Tops
Soon to own 1979 Oldsmobile Toronado

79 Toro Owners?

Postby Mike Murphy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:37 pm

I grew up in a GM dealership and remember my first look at a 70 Toronado and have followed the car ever since until generation 4 when I lost interest. I have been looking at what I deem the most desirable 3rd generation model year the 1979 Toronado. I seem to have found a one owner car with about 78K on it and garaged most of it's life especially winters when the owner went to Florida and left it at home in the garage. Med Grey metalic with red leather. Bumper closeouts will need replacing and the paint will need to be addressed as it has some fading and minor scratches.

I like this year mainly for the front grill and the fact it has the olds 350 gas engine. Hope to have it home in a couple of weeks but would like comments on things I may want to check prior to my purchase.

Rust is a major concern and many I have seen look ok topside but the frame from a lot of northern cars in most cases are gone unfortunately.

Looking forward to getting to know more member here.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy

Re: 79 Toro Owners?

Postby Mike Murphy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Wow posted this on the 25th and a total of 8 people have viewed my post. Either I'm not very interesting as a new member or we seem to have a small member base here on this site.

I have decided to but the above described 79. The interior is immaculate, the under body is in very good shape and aside from valve covers needing new gaskets and the closeout panels replaced it will be a great addition to my stabel which includes a 1975 Starlight Black Pontiac Grandville Convertible with a white top, white interior and a 455 owned since new now 90K. A 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy Pace Car and a 1988 Red Fiero GT with factory T-tops complete with an Indy Fiero Interior and a DOHC 3.4 24 valve V6 crate motor mated to a Getrag 5 speed.

I always like the formal look to the Toronado on the second and 3rd generation and think it is an instant classic from day one. The fact that the 79-80 had the last Olds 350 V8's rated at 165 hp I rather like but too bad not more hp available without a major over haul.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm

84 pace-car?!? With the Super-Duty 4 cyl?!? That is awesome! Hehe, im something of a fiero nut myself. Only got an 86 with stock duke and 5spd. Its pretty quiet aroumd here usually. I check for updates almost everyday, but there usually arwnt any posts that pertain to me.

If your anywhere near northern minnesota, I know where there's an 85 you could use for parts. Its at a little dealership I drive bu all the time. unsurprisingly, its been there for years, the price is at 400 I think... Not in bad shape. Ive toyed with buying it myself, im sure theyed practically give it away to get rid of it
TOA #839

Mike Murphy

Postby Mike Murphy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:57 pm

You misread my post the Indy is stock but the 88 was a sport coupe that I removed the standard 4 cylinder and replaced with a 3.4 24 valve DOHC V6 that was used in the Lumina Z34 and Grand Prix GTP I also rebodied the 88 and put an Indy Pace car interior into it complete with a driver side power lumbar seat.

Looks like the power antenna on my incoming Toro does not work nor does the heater and it needs the normal bumper close out panels between the bumper.

It has an AM/FM stero with built in CB radio. Not sure if it has a tape unit or not as my memory is a little foggy from 31 years ago when I worked in my families Olds dealership. Current owner is emailing me copy of the window sticker. I was over $13K according to him. No sunroof which I am glad for.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:48 pm

lol, there are Indy Fiero's, then there are Fiero Pace-Cars :P The Pace Cars had a 365 HP Iron Duke-based racing engine, called the Super-Duty 4, or SD4. There were only... 32? I think made this way. And they were actually used as pace-cars during races. Beat out the Corvette for that honor.

As far as the radio antenna goes, if the 3rd gen ones are similar to the 4th gen ones, they're wired backwards for some arbitrary reason... it took me many hours, and quite a few electrical burns to figure this out. Just have to open the case, and flip the wires on the actual motor around. that's only if you get an aftermarket one though.
TOA #839

toro68
TOA Membership Number: 102
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado, silver owned since Dec1986/Jan 1987 to present
1968 W-34 Toronado (totaled 3/9/03), blue, owned since August 1994
1968 W-34 Torondo, gold, loaded with many rare options, owned since 2003
1968 W-34 Toronado, red, bought in Nov/Dec of 2005, Was Lot#609 for Barrett-Jackson auction, March of 2005 . Firdst two "owners", was GM employees. I'm still in contact with Bob B. (OLds Zone Rep for North CArolina, retired 1992).

I aslos have a white 1985 Buick Riveria, that I would like to trade for another Toronado, or an old Ford pick-up truck.

Postby toro68 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:32 am

I own a 1985 Buick Riveria myself.

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Postby janeg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

Our Gen III advisor Mark Moxley is very knowledgable and will gladly assist you with technical issues. He prefers to use the phone and his information is on the inside front page of every Driver magazine with the other Tech Advisors.
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Return to “Introductions”