Just took the plunge!

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Jamin1968
TOA Membership Number: 893
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado. Bought in fall 2010.

Re: Just took the plunge!

Postby Jamin1968 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Haven't been here in awhile, but a quick update - She's alive!!!!

It's been close to 8 years since this car has run but it coughed to life last weekend. I'll be doing some tweaking, but I may actually get to drive it. This has been a real boost to my ego as well, I was starting to tire of the old girl, but now I'm re-energized. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein!

I'll be taking pictures soon. Not much has changed on the exterior, just a good cleaning, new tires, but a lot has changed under the hood - fixing years of mistakes and shoddy mechanic work.

- Jeff
Sky blue '69

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Jeff,

Stay with it. I have been working on my Toro for about the same number of years, and have owned it for about 12. Mine is completely disassembled. it was running reasonably well before, but I wanted to restore this great car.

I have rebuilt the power steering pump (never did that before) and I'm rebuilding the steering gear unit (never did that one either before; what a P in the A!). I got sick of the old girl bleeding on floor though. I need to post new pics here soon, but here are a few that I've shown before.

The worst body problem was that I had to replace the rusted out roof because of the old vinyl. At least someone took the vinyl off your car to prevent that problem from worsening.

I now have the roof replaced (from donor car), instrument panel rebuilt, engine gone through completely, tranny done, finishing final drive, rebuilt the CV/axle half shafts. I'm cleaning up/going through the wiring, and I've got half the window tracks/motors cleaned up for the glass. A lot to do yet, but getting there. Soon will have all the frame cleaned up to receive the drive train again. Just starting on brake system.

Good luck!
Tim
Attachments
Toronado1967_2.jpg
Toronado1967_2.jpg (208.73 KiB) Viewed 18132 times
DSCN0898.JPG
DSCN0898.JPG (93.8 KiB) Viewed 18132 times

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 am

Tim -
Thanks for the encouragement!

Wow - That's a commitment! I'm not sure I'll ever restore her to that level - but what fun and frustration! Heck, it took me several days of bloody knuckles and swearing just to rerun the fuel lines through the rear frame (they had used transmission line bolted to the outside of it, amazing!). Also, stripped, primed and painted the wheels silver. The grand design is to paint it a medium blue with a navy top.

So far, I'm fortunate. Everything does work (except A/C), and I haven't had any rust to really battle. Here's a few phone pics from this morning. The roof is surface, and I'm going to replace the vinyl roof. Underneath, I went with a 750 cfm Holley 4bbl, so that ought to burn some fuel!

Got a leak in the front driver's brakes, but once I sort that out, I'm planning on driving it, maybe in a couple of weeks. I'll update on how that goes, could be interesting!

- Jeff
Sky blue '69
Attachments
April 2013 Toro Roof.jpg
April 2013 Toro Roof.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 18132 times
Engine Bay April 2013.jpg
Engine Bay April 2013.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 18132 times
April 2013 Toro drivers side.jpg
April 2013 Toro drivers side.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 18132 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am

When you have a chance, take a picture of the VIN/Body tag on the cowl (I could see it). Also would be interested to see interior pictures.

Seems like the alternator is on the opposite side to the 67. I think my power steering pump is on that side. If you have any carburetor problems, Sparky can help you. He rebuilt my Quadrajet and it is beautiful! Can't wait to get it running!

Yes, but all means get out and drive it. You will enjoy!

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 am

Will do. Getting out of work early today, so I'm going to go play with it some more.

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Postby Eightballz » Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 am

Doc Hubler wrote:
Seems like the alternator is on the opposite side to the 67. I think my power steering pump is on that side.

Do you have a/c ?

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Here's the cowl tag. I don't think there's anything special about this car, it's just a base Toro. A/C though, and the rest of the power toys.

Here's a couple more pics - actually backed out of the garage under its own power for the first time since I've owned it, and pulled back in. Leaks everywhere (though that's only water on the driveway). But the tranny leaks, so new gasket, filter. Brakes leak up front anyhow, and the P/S pump was way low, but I don't think that's leaking.

Beyond that, it was a surprise to see the headlight covers opening up on their own. With all of the dry rotted lines, I didn't think there would be any vacuum pressure.

As for the interior, it's pretty dry. Headliner is split at all the seams, but may be able to resew it. The seats are split at many of the seams and the dash above the steering wheel is cracked pretty bad. Driver's door panel arm rest is very cracked and the pull handle is gone (anyone got a blue one??) While I don't have to battle too much rust, Wyoming sun is very intense - fades and rots. I think some UV tint will be in order. I do have the front turn signal covers, but they're in the trunk. Lights work though!

- Jeff
Sky blue '69
Attachments
Tag.jpg
Tag.jpg (85.77 KiB) Viewed 18114 times
ToroFront.jpg
ToroFront.jpg (144.93 KiB) Viewed 18114 times
ToroDriversSide.jpg
ToroDriversSide.jpg (109.89 KiB) Viewed 18114 times

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Here's the remaining two sides. BTW, my daily driver is a black '93 Buick Regal Gran Sport (as partially seen here). What a cool car that is! Too bad they won't be classics, but the leather buckets, console shift and tank-like 3.8 with 234,000 miles .... They don't make them even like that anymore!
Attachments
ToroRear.jpg
ToroRear.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 18114 times
Toropassenger side.jpg
Toropassenger side.jpg (127.14 KiB) Viewed 18114 times

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Here's some info for you based on your body tag.

Trim was 080 = Black Excella Pattern Cloth and vinyl Strato Bench seats
04D means body was built in fourth week of April, 1969 (Fisher body plant).

I guess looking at your car that it isn't a vinyl roof car, just showed some wear/rust on the top. The paint code color is 80. Powder Blue, which is a Toronado only color that year. I think the letter C means white stripe. Did it have white pinstriping?

THe rest of the numbers at the top all correspond to typical numbering system for Olds Toronados. The body number does not correspond to the VIN number which is visible thorough the windshield and is on the dash panel. The looks like a base car completely. No options listed on this body tag. Here's a website that shows this info. You can see the blue cloth seat and what they looked like. You can click on the to get the other info on that year, or other years of Toronados.
http://automotivemileposts.com/toronado ... rtrim.html

Tim

Doc Hubler

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Sorry, this car definitely had vinyl roof. Not sure what the color was but guessing what they called parchment. There was also a painted textured trim that went with that, and that seems to have been maybe a blue color. Hmm! Have to dig around some more to get the correct info.

Tim

Return to “Introductions”