Suffering a Relapse in Gig Harbor...

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Suffering a Relapse in Gig Harbor...

Postby xgecko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 am

Hello all,

I have been in remission since about 1988 but recently saw the infamous Leno car on a show recently and my affliction returned in full force with the result that I purchased my first Toronado in more than 22 years.

My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console. (weeps gently) :( It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73 and I even strayed into Delta 88 territory when I purchased a '70 Delta 88 with a fine motor in it and then a '67 a bit later. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my cars and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.

I now am the proud owner of a 1969 Toronado with a good body but in need of a major mechanical and suspension overhaul. At present it is in my garage and I just finished dismantling the front suspension only to find that the lower passenger side control arm is ripped where the ball joint mounts. I found a replacement but now hope to find a '74 to '76 car so I can update the entire front end with the newer knuckle so I can save $210 in ball joints. If anyone knows of such a car in the Seattle-Tacoma area for a good price appropriate for a parts car with limited applicability ( less than $600) I would love to hear about it.

My goal is to upgrade the car to Air Conditioning, Power Windows and Locks. I plan to obtain some new Cadillac seats from a CTS or STS and a center console (my attempt to replicate my original car with modern seating). I hope to fully rebuild the engine and transmission in the spring with the intent of having a very drivable GT tourer. This is likely the first of several Toronados I will eventually own with a '66 and a '68 on the list for the future.

I look forward to being a member of the club and hope to meet some of you soon!
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

tadmin
Site Admin

Re: Suffering a Relapse in Gig Harbor...

Postby tadmin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm

xgecko wrote:Hello all,

I have been in remission since about 1988 but recently saw the infamous Leno car on a show recently and my affliction returned in full force with the result that I purchased my first Toronado in more than 22 years.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here. Please keep up updated on the progress of your car. We love to hear about it!

Mike

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:33 am

Well, I finally got the point of my restoration where I am working on the engine. Sent the block off for machining, got the Edelbrock Aluminum heads with roller tip rockers, reworked and relieved stock rods, and the aluminum intake manifold. Once the shop lets me know what they found with the block I will be ordering the Kieth Black Hypereutectic pistons and new bearings. When all the parts are in and have been balanced I will assemble the engine and start putting things back together. Hope to have the car back on the road sometime in May or June.

I will be ordering a full exhaust from Waldron Exhaust http://waldronexhaust.com/ and I will post my comments in the parts section.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 am

toro68
TOA Membership Number: 102
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado, silver owned since Dec1986/Jan 1987 to present
1968 W-34 Toronado (totaled 3/9/03), blue, owned since August 1994
1968 W-34 Torondo, gold, loaded with many rare options, owned since 2003
1968 W-34 Toronado, red, bought in Nov/Dec of 2005, Was Lot#609 for Barrett-Jackson auction, March of 2005 . Firdst two "owners", was GM employees. I'm still in contact with Bob B. (OLds Zone Rep for North CArolina, retired 1992).

I aslos have a white 1985 Buick Riveria, that I would like to trade for another Toronado, or an old Ford pick-up truck.

Postby toro68 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 am

Did you sell your W-34 to a guy named Rollie Brooks ? He was living in New Market, NH, up ontil 1990/91. He used the 455 in that Toro for his white 1955 Super 88. I last saw Rollie and the white '55 in Sept of 2007.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 am

No, I was the final owner of that wonderful rustbucket. It was too far gone to restore when I had it - by the standards of a kid that knew nothing of the restoration techniques employed today.

I really do wish I had that car now, though. Given what I have seen on TV it could have been restored with a lot of body and frame work but it would have been possible. Oh well...

I can say that it truly makes me appreciate the car I now have. It is amazingly solid and drives fantastically well. It is very hard to reconcile the condition of my first car when it was only 14 years old against this car which is almost 44 years old!

Return to “Introductions”