Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Tarvichi
TOA Membership Number: 1444
Years Owned: Grey/Black, 1969 Toronado Base. A little rusty, needs work, but what car doesn't. PS/PW....of course they need to be fixed.

Postby Tarvichi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Toronado scene....usually I gravitate towards Mopar, but I came across a '69 Toro and I had to have it. Actually bought it from one of the members here. I try to most of the work myself, but somethings I just don't feel adequate doing, such as drum brakes. I am going to attempt replacing the upper and lower ball joints. I saw in another post a comment about rivets....what's their purpose? Do they need to be removed? there's a few other things on the list of to do's, steering gear is worn, pwr windows and seats not working. neither is the fuel gauge. But, I'll eventually get to them.

Happy Wrenching.

Willysnut1959
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: New member

Postby Willysnut1959 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Welcome to our forum. What part of Illinois do you live?

Marty, St. Louis, MO

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:07 am

You're going to replace the ball joints but you don't feel comfortable doing the brakes? Drum brakes are about the easiest thing to replace/repair. While you're working on one side, you have the other side to use as a reference.

How do you know that the ball joints are worn out and need replacing? Maybe everything just needs fresh grease.

I've found that electric seats and windows almost always start working when the wiring connections and contacts are all cleaned up. Often a wire has come loose or been broken by junk under the seat. Clean out all the crud from the drive and slides as well. Window switches often have corrosion at the switch.

Fuel gauge probably has a bad ground in the circuit.

Tarvichi
Years Owned: Grey/Black, 1969 Toronado Base. A little rusty, needs work, but what car doesn't. PS/PW....of course they need to be fixed.

Postby Tarvichi » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:23 am

Willysnut1959 wrote:Welcome to our forum. What part of Illinois do you live?

Marty, St. Louis, MO

Streator, south of I80, West of I39.

Tarvichi

Postby Tarvichi » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:28 am

Otto Skorzeny wrote:You're going to replace the ball joints but you don't feel comfortable doing the brakes? Drum brakes are about the easiest thing to replace/repair. While you're working on one side, you have the other side to use as a reference.

How do you know that the ball joints are worn out and need replacing? Maybe everything just needs fresh grease.

I've found that electric seats and windows almost always start working when the wiring connections and contacts are all cleaned up. Often a wire has come loose or been broken by junk under the seat. Clean out all the crud from the drive and slides as well. Window switches often have corrosion at the switch.

Fuel gauge probably has a bad ground in the circuit.

Correct, I've never done drums before, but I've done ball joints previously. just not on a Toronado.
I know they need replacing because I've checked them.
Thanks for the tips on the electrical issues, I'll check them out.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:56 am

If you are mechanically inclined enough to tackle ball joints (which you obviously are), you have the ability to do brakes.

They are simple to do and require only two simple and inexpensive tools to work on them properly. Check out some drum brake videos on Youtube. Virtually all drum brakes are the same since WWII.

If your car has its original or original style brake drums, I would have a brake shop check them out to see if they can be turned and re-used.

The currently available replacement drums are utter shit, made in China - even the AC Delco branded ones. Theey work just fine but they look like copies, of copies, of copies, of copies, etc. The fins aren't nicely rouneded and smooth and the outer surface is rough and unfinished, not smooth and clean like the originals. They rust up almost immediately.

The rust doesn't hurt anything - virtually all brake drums get a coat of surface rust on them - but due to the design of the Toronado wheels, the drums are visible through the holes and look like crap compared to the original drums.

Sonny Kennedy

Postby Sonny Kennedy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:04 am

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you with us.

Return to “Introductions”