New here, new to a 66 Toronado

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Re: New here, new to a 66 Toronado

Postby Doc Hubler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I don't know why I mixed that up, but my opinion of you has improved Otto since I know you're from Georgia and NOT Floriduh. LOL! Damn, they have some sassy ladies down there though! It's funny that you mention Buick, because it's exactly the brand of car they usually drive and meant to put that in my description.

But back to the brakes, we are both of a mind. Properly restored drum brake systems are fine for Toronado, unless you have a constant lead foot. Bad idea to drive a very heavy car like the Toro and expect it to instantly stop, or any other such heavy car. Unless you don't believe in physics. And chemistry is important. So you should use the correct brake linings when you redo your drum brakes.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: New here, new to a 66 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 am

Ya. How many crazy news stories have you heard that begin, "A Florida man ..."

You make a good point regarding how to drive a 50 year old car and I think that is lost on a lot of people. I've seen a lot of people who think that a 50 year old car will somehow magically handle and perform like a modern car after a complete restoration, especially if they've "upgraded" brake systems and suspension components.

No, it will handle like a new car in 1966 or whatever year the car was built.

I think that modern vehicles have gotten so much easier to drive and so much more forgiving of poor driving habits that some people are completely flummoxed by cars that they actually have to "drive". Modern cars don't go into skids when you stand on the brakes. Some take over steering and braking when a skid is detected. They're smaller, faster, and more maneuverable so lane changing and quick course changes don't automatically result in crashes.

Many people are so far removed from cars of the pre-computer era that they may never have had to learn how to drive one or it's been so long they've forgotten how.

In my case I've never owned a modern car so I've never become accustomed to cars that do the thinking and driving for you. My '56 Cadillac is the most modern vehicle I've ever owned. (power brakes, steering, windows, seats) In fact, the huge, four wheel drum brakes on that car are also the best brakes of any vehicle I own.

I actually feel uncomfortable driving modern cars because they don't "feel right".

I drove a friend's 1935 Auburn and it felt like the most natural thing in the world. I didn't have to adjust my expectations or driving habits.

Return to “Introductions”