Bought a 66!

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
CarguyNye
TOA Membership Number: 1300
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado deluxe
1969 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

Bought a 66!

Postby CarguyNye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

Greetings everyone,
this is my first post to the forum as a new member to the club, having recently purchased a 66 Toro! I have been a lifelong fan of GM cars from the 50's, 60's and early 70's, having grown up with these cars from my childhood. I currently also own a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that was given to me by an Uncle when I was in high school so I was indoctrinated into the car hobby from an early age. I have also owned a 70 Vista Cruiser and a 69 Riviera which I wish I had kept!
But on to Toronados now, and I have a question regarding removal of the front bumper and the front nose section that houses the hideaway headlamps. I am looking to remove these parts from a donor car and am looking for any advice/ expertise folks could provide. I removed all the top bolts on the nosepiece where they attach to the piece in front of the radiator, and I have removed the two that are on the passenger side, underneath the top of the front fender, I know there are two more in the same place on the other side. And I know I have to disconnect the canisters for the headlamps. What would be left?
Then with the bumper, what is involved to remove that?
Thank you again for any advice you can provide and I hope to make it to a Toro gathering in the future!

brian66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: Bought a 66!

Postby brian66toro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 pm

I can't be too helpful with the info you are seeking but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I also have a 66 and also love GM cars from the same era that you do. I'd invest in a 66 Olds Shop Manual. The rear section deals with the Toro.

Good luck with yours.

Brian

Toronadotrofeo
TOA Membership Number: 24
Years Owned: 1966 toronado
1981 toronado
1990 toronado
1991 toronado
1992 toronado

Postby Toronadotrofeo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Welcome to the toronado club and the one of the parts is the hunt for parts and the people you meet along the way it's car history at its best time have fun and don't give up I've been at mine for 16 months my second 66 toronado

CarguyNye
TOA Membership Number: 1300
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado deluxe
1969 Pontiac Bonneville convertible

Postby CarguyNye » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 pm

thank you for the welcome, guys, and I did get my parts off and then some! Yes, I have heard that the Toros are a challenge as parts are scarce and of course anything with that many vacuum features is bound to have issues! :D But from what I have seen so far, the thought put into these cars is well worth the effort required to bring them back to their glory. And I have already enjoyed the camaraderie that everyone shares restoring these great pieces of history.

Return to “Introductions”