New guy looking at 1966

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
hambone
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: New guy looking at 1966

Postby hambone » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 pm

hambone

Postby hambone » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:50 pm

I have a painter friend, said he would paint it for $1500 if I buy the beer, he does a nice job, I can only imagine how much it will cost to rechrome the bumpers and reupholster the front seat. :o

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Rear bumper will cost $400-$500 to rechrome and straighten.

3 piece front bumper will be $900 - $1100.

Probably cost $700 to $1000 to do the front seat with correct fabric and vinyl. Get the correct materials. The labor is the same whether they're stitching off the rack vinyl or the proper stuff. You can get the materials at SMS.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Hambone, that ebay link you posted is selling the Steele product. You can see the "S" under the rubber in the upper left. Steele is all top quality in my experience. I've used a lot of their products on my Cadillac. I haven't bought anything for the Toro, though.

A restorer I know told me he gets a 50% discount from Steele so this guy might also. He then marks it up 50% over his cost and makes money for doing nothing and you still save 25%.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 am

Interesting; I just noticed that your seller lists the manufacturer as Metro Molded Rubber, not Steele. The part number and packaging matches up with Metro's website. So both guys are selling the same part for much less than it would cost from the manufacturer. Your guy is $19.00 less than the other guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1970-Olds ... 100623.m-1

Metro Molded sells the same part for $117.00. Looks like the ebay guys are the way to go.

http://metrommp.com/?f=detail&ModelNumb ... l=TORONADO

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

I did get a lot of the rubber parts from both Steele and Fusick for door/window seals. You can get trunk seals from one of them as well. Windshields do not use rubber, but are sealed in with butyl tape. Rubber body biscuits ,, radiator supports, etc. can be had from Steele. Certain other small rubber purts on the underside such as the drain seals come from another source. Front engine mounts come from GMC Motorhomes, rears from Fusick I think. For weatherstrip/seals for taillights, cornering lamps, heater box, etc., I wouldn't go with Rubber the Right Way. It's rubber the expensive way. I bought sheets of the correct foam type from another source that I think works well. The only rubber pieces that I didn't replace because they were in good shape and very pliable, and also impossible to find, were the pads for the rear springs. There might even be some sources for those, but takes a lot more digging. I got my suspension kit from Kantor and was happy with it. Otto doesn't like them, so he'll suggest another vendor. Send me a pm if you want to know specific rubber parts and where to find them. Steele will have most of the window door materials, including the window whiskers.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 am

Rubber the Expensive Way! That's funny (and true!)

Applied GMC is the motor home outfit that Doc referred to. They have a lot of stuff for the front suspension and engines since the GMC RVs use the Toronado drive train. http://www.appliedgmc.com

Doc, I hope your Kantor stuff holds up. Please keep us informed.

I and other Cadillac restorers had horrible experiences with suspension and steering rubber parts. One guy's parts deteriorated on the car inside the garage while it was still being restored. The car had never been on the road and the stuff fell apart in under 2 years.

Hambone, don't forget to check normal parts suppliers and chain auto stores first before looking at specialty shops. A surprising amount of stuff is available from Rock Auto and Auto Zone, etc. often for a lot less money.

I bought some weatherstrip and window fuzzies for my mom's '76 F-150 from Rock Auto. They were a lot less expensive than the Ford restoration places and the quality was fine. I think they get the parts from some of the specialty places and just don't mark it up as much.

hambone

Postby hambone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks, I am going to start ordering some of the rubber, I will do the research for the best deal, I will keep you posted.

hambone

Postby hambone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

I know it's been a while :oops: but I thought I would give an update. I haven't ordered any door seals yet but I have been through the brakes, new wheel cyls, new master cyl, new brake hoses, she stops on a dime. Put new tires on her, replaced belts and hoses, changed all the fluids, found that the headlamp vacuum hoses are rotted, so I have to address that. I do need a wiper switch(hard to find) and my power antenna is stuck, other than that, everything seems to be working. Hoping to get it repainted, front seat recovered, and bumpers re chromed. My next purchases will be door seals, window seals, hood and trunk seals. I will try to update more often, just pecking along as finances allow.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 am

That's awesome! Unless your vacuum canister and/or actuators are rusted or leaking, replacing the hoses will probably do the trick for your headlights.

One of mine was disconnected in a hard to see spot. When I found it and hooked it up they worked perfectly.

Obsolete Oldsmobile had an NOS light switch for sale a while back for $300+. John Dorcey probably has a good used one for a lot less.

The front and rear windshields on these cars are installed like modern vehicles without rubber seals. If yours is leaking, be prepared to find a lot of rust in the window channels.

Return to “Introductions”