New Member from SoCal

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Gator
TOA Membership Number: 1139
Years Owned: 1970 Toronado Custom

New Member from SoCal

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I just acquired a 1970 Toro from my father-in-law. It's really straight and hasn't seen a whole lot of road use. Pretty much everything is in place except the rubber pieces. My plan is to eventually perform a full restore. It's going to be a long process. I'm still in the assessment phase.

Sorry for the large format. Can't seem to control that.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: New Member from SoCal

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Looks like it just needs a serious detailing inside and out, clean and buff to get it looking good. Get some Lexol products for the interior vinyl.

Do a complete tune up, flush all the fluids, inspect the brake system, change out all the rubber hoses and belts and you'll probably be able to drive it without a lot of major work.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:57 am

Great looking car! Here are some Toro projects we're working on on the FB site below (a 67 and 69 W-34). In many ways, you have one of the easier Gen I Toros to restore in that they simplified much of the initial parts. Getting rid of all the vacuum pieces for headlamps was an important simplification. Many interior pieces were improved or simplified. Anyway, the basic drivetrain and "3/4" frame are the same for them all. Good luck and more pictures please!

https://www.facebook.com/PerfectShapeCustoms

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:26 pm

I did all the basics and it's up and running. The hardest part was draining the fuel tank. No one takes 'bad' gas. I have 2 5-gallon containers of bad gas sitting around.

A more-recent pic after cleaning 100lb of gunk:

Amazingly, the AC works, too.
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 pm

BTW, Doc. Nice job on the project cars. How much work was it to get the front end taken apart? That's the way to go to getting to the engine.
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:28 pm

It's a fair amount of work, but once you've done one, they go faster. When you say front end, I take it you mean the suspension. You have to be careful there. The torsion bars are loaded. Remove fenders and front grille. There is best way to take the engine out, then tranny/final drive and the axle half-shafts. We could give you details how to do it that might be easier than the service manual. It's easier as well if you remove the air handling box for heater/AC. I've seen people destroy the bellhousing on these by trying to yank the engine out improperly. Iv'e seen the air handler box smashed as well. Most importantly, to unload the torsion bars and get the control arms off, you'll have to find or build the tool for that (we built one). That's all well down the road for you though. You're doing the right thing, make it safe and roadworthy, enjoy it, and visit with other members and gather more info before making a dive into the project. Sometimes, it's just no fun when its everywhere in pieces and it's hard to see your way through the mess to a beautiful car.

Return to “Introductions”